Dull Metal Flake Gelcoat

wdriii

Cadet
I have a '79 Starcraft with red metal flake gelcoat that has gone dull as can be. I really don't want to paint and cover up the metal flake but am open to something clear.<br /><br />While brushing polyurethane on some woodwork I accidently dripped a small amount on the gelcoat. Man did it come back to life. It looked brand new.<br /><br />I doubt that normal marine grade polyurethane would work well (or would it??) over the dead gelcoat. Can anyone suggest something clear that might breathe some new life in the gelcoat?<br /><br />Many thanks - Bill

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Dull Metal Flake Gelcoat

hi bill :) what i did was wet sand came out great alot of hard work but shines like a new dime then wax or buff worked for me

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes, good quality automotive clear coat is often used to revive metal flake boats. I know allot of bass boaters that have gone that route with great results.<br /><br />Bob :cool:

wdriii

Cadet

Thanks Way and Bob. I believe that it is "elbow grease" time. I'll let you know in a few days how it turns out. Bill

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

wetsand with 600 or higher,dont ht the flake it turns it silver. Ive had best luck with imron, it dries hard, similar to gelcoat.