Where to start

JrHamberg

Cadet
Hello, I have an Evinrude 40 hp outboard motor and it seems as one of the coils will not fuction but both have been replaced. <br />The idle is poor and throttle up doesn't want to idle on power up either.<br />Motor runs good when out of water, but has lack of power when in the lake.<br />The motor is an older Motor back in 69 but has been running so well up until last year. I started it this year which took right off, but I don't know if the problems I'm having are large or small to fix. I ran a circuit tester and everything shows its fine, but when under pressure it won't throttle up to speed. Can you please give me advice on what you think the problem is.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to start

Welcome Tigerguy!<br /><br />A question here guy....the coils you replaced, are they on the engine or under the flywheel? The reason I'm asking is, if they are mounted on the engine, then the 40 is a lot newer than 69'. If under the flywheel, then you would notice that there are also points and condensers there as well and could very well need replaced.<br /><br />If you are not sure of the year, post the model number and we can tell you. The model number will be on one of the transom brackets....usually the port side. Or look on the engine block for a large welsh plug (looks like a freeze plug). The model number will be on there also. We need to be sure what type of ignition system we have here.....Thanks.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

welcome to Iboats!<br /><br />Another Big Twin lover! the list just kepps getting bigger<br /><br />Have you got a manual? if not, you want to get one soon! They are invaluble.<br /><br />in the meantime, try following what jimmee has been doing with a similar engine, here's a link,<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=033437 <br /><br />There is some great advice in this thread, and save writing all over again.<br /><br />another thread that is helpfull is this one,<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=033529 <br /><br />see how these go, and to make sure you get the best help, make your topic heading more informative, a model number and short desciption of the problem goes a long way to getting some very knowledgable peoples attention.<br /><br />try "evinrude model 40102 (for example) spark problem"<br /><br />with a topic like that, Paul Moir (a walking bigtwin encyclopeadia) or CAtransplant will stick their head in, and you will have access to everything you need to get your engine running again.<br /><br />Once again, welcome aboard, and good luck!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No biggy Lark....the more info the better!! :)

JrHamberg

Cadet

I have an Evinrude motor, model No. 35531 & serial No. 03944 and is a 2 stroke. <br />Yes, the points and coils were both done and set and "they are under the fly wheel". The tact. meter reads good positive flow from the coils. I did not do anything with the condensers though. <br />And yes I am looking into the links that were posted, Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Condensers should always be replaced with the points guy. Now here's another thing to check.....I know you have to push the spark plug wire into the coil, so, it is possible that you could have pushed it in off center and missed the coil "pin". On occasion, I have found the coil pins a little bent and would have missed the spark plug wire core. I check the pin and also cut off the end of the spark plug wire about 1/4" and take a very small pin punch and start the hole in the spark plug wire. Lube the wire a little and push in with pliers.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok, well thats a 1962 model for starters, which brings us to one important question, what fuel/oil mix are you useing?<br /><br />it should be 24:1 of regular gasoline and a tcw-3 rated outboard oil. (I ain't gonna suggest a brand here, thats a asking for a whole lotta trouble, you decide on what brand, mineral/synthetic, etc....) <br /><br />This probably won't help your spark problem, but it will protect the internal parts of your power head.<br /><br />Have you checked all the wiring for any possible shorts to ground? in particular the black wires that go from the coils to the kill switch and vacumme cutout? (check the vacumme cutout switch with the engine off and make sure that it is open circuit (you'll need a multimeter)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It's cool Lark.....we are all over this one! By the way.....what the hell is "Cheesy Poofs"???

joe_morgan

Seaman

Cartmans favourite food I believe. "Hell yeah, I want cheesy poofs"<br /><br />Joe

joe_morgan

Seaman

JrHamberg

Cadet

Hi fella's, thanks for the info. Yes, I checked for spark and that is good on both cylinders. I am not sure about the spark plug and coil thing, but was a very good pointer! I will have to check into that.<br />The motor for oil ratio is 1:24. Johnson Motors told me that only half of that is recommended. I use a half cup oil per 5 gals. I am not good with ratio's or breaking it down but it was what was recommended for me to use.<br />I also use the Johnson's high profiency oil for greater combustion and protection.<br />I need to find a manual for this motor so I can begin running my tests. Does the Library carry such manuels? still puzzled

JrHamberg

Cadet

Originally posted by Tigerguy:<br /> Hi fella's, thanks for the info. Yes, I checked for spark and that is good on both cylinders. I am not sure about the spark plug and coil thing, but was a very good pointer! I will have to check into that.<br />The motor for oil ratio is 1:24. Johnson Motors told me that only half of that is recommended. I use a half cup oil per 5 gals. I am not good with ratio's or breaking it down but it was what was recommended for me to use.<br />I also use the Johnson's high profiency oil for greater combustion and protection.<br />I need to find a manual for this motor so I can begin running my tests. Does the Library carry such manuels?
I was also wondering if there is a way to test the condensors to see if they are good or not.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Whoever told you 1/2 cup for 5 gallons, stop listening to that guy. That's approximately 160:1. Proper mix is 1 quart for 6 gallons of gas (24:1). It doesn't matter what brand of oil you use just so long as it's got a TC-W3 rating somewhere on the bottle.<br />The local library may have a service manual for you. Check it out. You can order them online too. If you do, get a factory manual as they're much better than Seloc/Clymers. <br />Condensors are rarely a problem on these engines, but ignition coils are. It's important to test with a 1/4"-3/8" gap to proove they're good.<br /><br />I'd do a compression test if you've been running 160:1 long. No sense throwing good money after a bad engine.

JrHamberg

Cadet

I have looked into this and the coils are OK. I am currently looking for a compression tester, and so far found only one at 70 bucks. Wow! I still have a few more places to check first.<br />I am thinking that maybe the rings are bad. Is this a possibility? <br />I tried to add just under a court of oil once and the plugs just foul out and the motor will not start. I usually add around 3/4 cup per 5 gal.<br />This is the same amount that the guy I bought this boat from used and I was told a little less was fine. I have ran this way for 4 years, but I just want the best boating experience I can and that is why I really relye on your professional opinions. Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral

Keep looking. Should be around $15 US.<br /><br />Don't know what to tell you about the oil mix. It is as I stated. 3/4 cup for 5 gallons isn't nearly enough. Not by a long shot.

JrHamberg

Cadet

Thanks for the messages, I have ordered a compression tester and am waiting for it to come in. I also want to order a manual, but I was wondering how difficult will it be to replace the rings if they are bad. I know alot about auto mechanics but I have never taken a boat motor apart and do not know if there are various special tools that will be needed to do this job.<br />First things first, I will reply after I have did the compression test and will go from there. Please stand by and I should know by a week or two.