Stalling Problem

tiredmom40

Cadet
90 H.P. Johnson outboard motor (fuel injected) on a pontoon boat. The boat is 2-3<br />years old. The engine starts, however, when you put the engine in forward<br />or reverse it stalls. Also, when you put the engine in neutral and rev the<br />engine it stalls. First time out it did not happen. Second and third time out it happened after about 10 minutes of running and now stalls when put in gear. Ideas?

fishonboat

Seaman
Re: Stalling Problem

I would start with changing your plugs and check and see if the bulb on the fuel line is staying pressurized/hard. You may have an air leak in the fuel line. That's the easy stuff to start with. If that doesn’t work then I would say the carbs need to be cleaned. Make sure you blow air in all the little openings and holes.

tiredmom40

Cadet

Thanks for your help. Turned out to be a nylon line wrapped around the prop. Cut it off, ran the boat and all seems fine.

fishonboat

Seaman

That's funny because that happened to me last weekend while loading my boat. Every time I would put it in drive in would stall. Once I finally got it on the trailer and out of the water then it was obvious the reason it was stalling. I had a large piece of anchor rope wraped around my prop. I had to of picked it up right there at the dock.

tiredmom40

Cadet

Seems so obvious now. Couldn't figure out why it ran so well the day before and all of a sudden was stalling. Just glad it didn't cause any damage.