to heat or not to heat????

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 1969 115 jonny that im changing out the prop seals but i cant get the bearing carrier out .have removed the prop,four inner bolts applied a puller on it but cant it to budge.ive been soaking it for a day now but was wondering if appling light heat will help or melt anything.any help is appreciated.thankyou in advance....<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> ***THURSDAY***

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: to heat or not to heat????

I just pulled out my bearing housing on my 81 140hp Johnny... I let it soak in liquid wrench for 2 days, I tried, and tried to get it out using just a 1/2" breaker bar with no luck.<br /><br />I ended up using my 1/2" impact set on "low" pressure and let it work it's way out. It wasnt fun at all..

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dd,yeah thats what its starting to look like.what i expect for a 69?just pop out?im gonna try a little heat or a piece of hardwood and try it that way.thanks for your input

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Look inside and estimate where the carrier is on the forward end (where those 4 bolts were). Theres an O ring there and thats where its probably stuck the hardest. Heat up the housing by both ends of the carrier, not just the rear (nearest the prop). <br /><br />Hook up your puller and have tension on it as you heat it up. It'll come but it wont be easy. Patience and adult beverages are a must.<br /><br />Now, heres another thought. If all you want to do is change the prop shaft seals you dont have to remove the carrier. just depends on what you want to do.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I did, was take a rubber mallet and I tapped the housing, I tried to see where the large O ring was and tapped that area only. It seemed to work. <br /><br />If it were me, I would not add heat, I am sure a resident expert will give you better advice..

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> It'll come but it wont be easy. Patience and adult beverages are a must.<br />
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />The power of positive drinkin'!!! ;)

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dhadley,heres a quick story,went to ramp lowered motor out came the milk shake:( out around the prop.im thinking the o ring is gone thats on the carrier.have the 2 seals and new o ring.we used the boat all day before this happened so hopefully everything is ok.hopefully its these seals or the oring that let go(i hope).DD,thanks for the warning but i believe people say the heat is okay just dont overheat.will try the tapping at the oring end also.thanks so much for the help guys.dhadley,adult beverges?does that really help get the bearing out or is that to help my patience?ha ha ha thanks once again to everyone

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Dont forget the 4 small O rings on the screws. Just keep moving the heat. If you dont youll melt a hole in the aluminum case. <br /><br />If ya melt a hole in it, you'll need more beverages...

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thankyou,didnt see 4 small orings anywhere.have a good manuel will have to check those out.thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Look under the heads of the 4 screws you pulled out. That may be where the leak was to begin with. Really surprised the dealer didnt suggest them when you bought the other stuff.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

will check them out .thanks so much for your input.will any type oring work or does it have to be marine style?

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah mine dosent either but it also said it was 4 allen heads go figure.ill double check my manuel and the 4 bolts and the carrier whenever it decides to show itself.thanks everyone for your input.dd,that looks just like the picture from my 1969 manuel,hmmmmmmm maybe dhadley was thinking of something else?will have to investigate a little more. <br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> ***THURSDAY***

Walker

Captain

Usually those orings are part of the bolts and are included already on the bolts.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

DHadley is right, my 81 calls for those 4 O rings, I just dont see your model year reqiuring them... <br /><br />I will be curious to see the outcome.....<br /><br />Good luck getting the bearing carrier out, mine was a 3 hour odeal, and that was after 2 days of spraying lubricate on the seals....

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walker that is interesting, on my model year it specifies the bolts and the o rings as separate items on the exploded view diagrams... I would think if they are needed they would specify the same way..<br /><br />My reasoning is, if you dont replace the 4 bolts, than what, no O rings?????<br /><br />Now I am real curious....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Originaly you had to buy a new screw (allen head #314733) which came with the O ring. Later you could buy the O ring (315484) seperately. Some of those old allen screws were too long and would drag on the reverse gear. Some would drag enough that it would actually turn the bearing carrier and start to close off the exhaust. <br /><br />They then went to a different bolt (316563) which comes with O ring 317178. Which O ring you want depends on which bolt you have.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

DHadley, you are a wealth of knowledge... I hope I didnt come across cocky at all....<br /><br />It's people like you that teach people like me...<br /><br />Thank you.........

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

goooood newwwwwssssss,the bearing poped out when i went home for lunch!!dhadley or dd,do you now if mine needs four orings?i didnt pull the bearing all the way so i didnt look.my manuel doesnt show it?do you know the part number?will reguler orings work?thanks so much for your help you guys are good.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look up 3 posts, DHadley listed the part numbers......