trim tabs...... electric or hydrolic?

Sea Hawk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 22 foot walk-around. I would like to put trim tabs on it. The boat plains well but lists to one side or the other when my passengers move around. I just want to be able to stabilize the boat while running whithout having to constantly tell people to move from side to side, or to sit still. I run dual 750 MCA gell cell deep cycle batteries so electrical power is not a problem. I would just like to know which tabs proform better, are easier to install, maintain and operate, which are more affordable, and which is the best value for the money. (even if a little more expensive) Any info would help......experiences, brands that work or don't prices, opinions......

tjthorson

Seaman
Re: trim tabs...... electric or hydrolic?

IMHO, Lenco electrics are the way to go - especially in your situation. They cost a little more then the hydraulics, but the safety issue is huge to me.<br /><br />With the hydraulic ones, if you should somehow loose power, or break a hydraulic line, the tab can suddenly lift back up, causing a shift to that side of the boat. The electrics are a screw type, so no matter where they are, powered or not, they stay right there. This is especially important if you are going to use them to stabilize the load under planing speed.<br /><br /> http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/pdetail.cgi?25556++ <br /><br />For $450 you can't go wrong ordering them from Overtons too... Good luck!<br /><br />Oh, and by the way, I ran these on my Bayliner with only 1 battery running and through a 10 amp fuse - never had a problem.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trim tabs...... electric or hydrolic?

I opted for the Lenco's on my 21' Hydrasport. Installed them myself without help in a couple of hours. They work great.<br /><br />TJ's right about that hydraulic bleed-down. It doesn't even require a complete failure. In a large, unobstructed area of the water, if you fully extend both tabs, then run one back up, the boat will suddenly swerve out of control. I wouldn't want that to happen unexpectedly.