Cutting the fiberglass on my new boat

SQUAWK_VFR

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I just received a new 05 Chaparral and want to upgrade the stereo myself--the dealer would take way too long now that the weather is nice--.<br /><br />I have bought the speakers and wanted to know if there was a trick to cutting thru the fiberglass to mount them. I would not want to ruin my new boat. <br /><br />Thanks for your help.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Cutting the fiberglass on my new boat

When I cut mine, I drilled a small hole for the blade and cut them out. Suggestions:<br />1) Draw you circles with templates that came with your speakers.<br />2) After you draw them use masking or dust tape and go arond the outside edges of the circle so that you do not scratch up you new boat with the saw.<br />3) Drill the pilot hole and work up to the size that you need to get the blade in there. <br />4) Use a smaller fine tooth blade and take your time so that it does not chip the fiberglass.<br />Again take your time. GOOD LUCK!

mattttt25

Commander

if you're drilling circles, go with a rotozip. using a small blade is just too difficult, as the saw will not want to turn. rotozip will ensure a perfect circle. mark circle, drill pilot hole at center, double check saw setting, place tape over cut area, and saw away.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

And doesn't the Rotozip have a Circle Cut attachment, for a perfect hole? Just a thought.

crab bait

Captain

all good suggestions.. <br /><br />VIP,, has the right way,, if'n no buy 'roto-zip'.. <br /><br />one suggestion.. i'd cover the ENTIRE area wider then the cut with overlapping wide masking tape.. <br /><br />then draw outline & holes..right o the tape..<br /><br />this way,, you're protecting from chippin' but also protecting form scatchin' from the jig-saw foot pad..

vipzach

Lieutenant

Good idea crab bait, I break those stupid roto-zip blades, that is why I just use a good jig saw blade and stick with what I can do.

Realgun

Commander

I have a rotozip wish I had never wasted the money on it. I bought it for the floor removal but it really was a waste of time.

Moody Blue

Captain

One caution to be aware of. Check behind where you intend to cut for any wires, cables etc that may be lurking out of sight. Also be sure the length of the jigsaw blade won't impact any structure behind the panel you are cutting. Fiberglass cuts very well using a fine-medium toothed blade. Use a dust mask and eye protection for your own safety.