rear low in the water

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys I could use some help.<br />I HAVE A 15FT INVADER runabouht with a 35 hp evinrude short shaft.<br />any way it has a "20 transom so I built a bracket to lower the enigne.<br />It worked great with my 25hp and I took it on 2 runs wth the 35 and it worked great.<br />and now the problem the last time I ted to launch it the rear sat so low that the pee hole was under water :eek: <br />The only thing I chganed was to put on my 5hp kicker insted of the 3hp it had on it.<br />the baot had a tip to it the bow was higher than normal.<br />the first thing I did was to make sure I wasn't takeing on water I wasn't<br />I tred it twice and got the same results <br />I don't get it I ran it twice befgor with no problems I did also add some trim tabs would that make a difence?<br />any help would be great.<br /> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7331589&uid=2461186&members=1 <br />this pic is without the new tabs and the 5hp kicker

SeaJayacas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: rear low in the water

It doesn't take much to change the balance on a boat that size, though the difference between a 3 and a 5 hp shouldn't be more than 20-25 pounds.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible the screws for the Trim tabs are leaking, allowing water to enter the boat under the floor (providing it has a floor), What did you use to seal the screws?..

Moody Blue

Captain

It won't sit lower in the water for no reason. You must have either added *significant* weight to the transom or taken on a quantity of water somewhere. Are you sure it didn't sit that low the first time out ? You may have been focusing on other issues and not noticed ? You could try removing one of the screws fastening the trim tabs to the hull and see if any water comes out. Remember to re-seal everything afterwards.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it was in the water for only a few mins the bilge was dry when I put the tabs in I don't think it went all the way trought the transom.<br />It may have been low in the water before but the exshasut was not in the water before.<br />I mean the boat was in the water for less than 10mins becuse the ening wasn't cooling so I put it back on the trailior.<br />how ever I think the transom is water loged when I put the tabs in water came out :eek: I know I need to do some major work or get another boat all I want is for it to make it throught the season.<br />thank you for all your help.<br />To marrow I'm going to test to see whats going on thanks.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

"when I put the tabs in water came out [Eek!] "<br />uhoh sounds like its time for the dump or a rebuild :) <br />I have $20.00 that says the flotation foam is waterlogged, any takers? :) <br />You can carefully drill a couple holes through the floor to see the condition of the foam if there is any. :) <br />Regards Jon

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jheron:<br /> "when I put the tabs in water came out [Eek!] "<br />uhoh sounds like its time for the dump or a rebuild :) <br />I have $20.00 that says the flotation foam is waterlogged, any takers? :) <br />You can carefully drill a couple holes through the floor to see the condition of the foam if there is any. :) <br />Regards Jon
I'll bet you're right. Time for some major work or the dump. Depends on the condition and value of the boat. If it's not repaired, it shouldn't be taken very far from shore. :rolleyes: <br /><br />And once the engine goes under water, it's junk also.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be careful. Boats with rotted transoms have been known to sink. To much pressure and something may break off, like the transom itself.<br /><br />HeadHunt

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep - agree with Jon and Ron. <br /><br />Bet you left it on the trailer in the open for the winter.<br /><br />Doesn't take long for even a shower of rain to soak into the foam and add real weight.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I did not leave in uncoverd for the winter.<br />so your saying it to risky to take it out :eek: <br />so I should cancle my trip to the lake tomarow :( <br />so what your saying is that I'm out of boating for the year :( <br />I took it out today and once on a plane it does well.<br />but I am worried now this sucks. :( <br />thanks for the help

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope I didn't cause unfounded alarm. What type of boat do you have? Is the inside of the transom wood or composite? A simple test is to stand on the skeg area of the motor and see if the transom flexes. It should not. Have holes been drilled in the transom over the years? Most people do not seal them properly. The proper method is to drill an oversized hole, fill it with epoxy resin and then drill your hole into the resin. That way no water ever enters the transom. If you don't use this method, holes should at least be filled with 3M 5200 before the screw is screwed in. How much water came out of your transom? A couple of drips or alot? Marine surveyors have a moisture meter to check for water content in hulls. Hope this helps.<br /><br />HeadHunt

Moody Blue

Captain

what66 don't condemn that boat just yet. Many boats have wet transoms that owners don't even know about. The important issue is the structural integrity of the transom. Try to evaluate the strength of the transom. With the boat on a trailer, and the reverse lock engaged, have a buddy grab the skeg with both hands and pull back as hard as he can. While he is pulling, watch along the top of the transom from the side to see if there is any flex. You shouldn't see any movement in the transom. If everything looks solid then enjoy your boat this season and get the repairs done before next year. <br />You still need to determine why it is sitting so low in the water all of a sudden.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

When you made the bracket for the engine how much further back does the engine set now on the new bracket. If its more than a couple of inches you have extended the lever arm of the weight of the engine which may be adding the weight further back and lowering the rear. Did you also lower the engine with respect to the hull. These 2 things plus the extra weight of the new kicker may be enough to lower a small boats rear.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys there was some water in the bilge and once it pumped out It got better.<br />only a fex drops of water came out the transom seams <br />to b very soild It doesn't move at all even at speed.<br />I think It will be ok for the year thanks for the help guys.<br /> :) <br />and I'm switching back to to the 3hp spare the 5 I have is not working right now.