battery selection

brehlers69

Seaman
I have a 87 lund tyee with a 90 horse merc. I just got the boat and so I put in a radio and cup holders to modify it to my liking. I hooked the radio to the assecories switch so when i turn on my depth finders the radio will come on also. I went out yesterday and the radio drained the battery, good thing i wasnt far from the dock. I noticed that both my trolling motor battery and motor/electronics battery are both outdated and need replaced. I am willing to spend a couple hundred for nice batteries. I need to know what i should get for batteries and if i need to split the back battery into two, one for my motor and one for my electronics cuz i could do that. thanks

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: battery selection

Dual batteries would be the better choice. One deep cycle for the stereo, fish finder, lights, etc and one for starting(reg battery). They make switches or relays that will allow them to both get charged while the motor is running. I personally like the relay because I don't have to remember to switch the switch after starting.

ZmOz

Captain

I would go with two deep cycle batteries, most of them will put out way more than enough cranking amps to start a 90hp mercury. As lubedude would say, Trojan batteries are very good and reasonably priced; Optima and Odyssey sealed batteries are also VERY good batteries, though they won't live long if they're being charged by an unregulated outboard alternator. This summer I'm going to use a plain old car battery for starting my outboard, and a second Odyssey dry cell battery for running electronics which I will charge when I get home.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And get the biggest ones you can fit in. group 27 if you can.I second the trojans very good low cost batteries.AGM batteries are a step up, from both gell and flooded cell.And you should not have to get a special charger.Lot of people (including some sales clerks)Think gell and agm are the same They are not.<br /><br /> Jim

Realgun

Commander

Oh so that why Lube got trojans they are cheap! But what happens if they break? :D <br /><br />He said the battery guy recommended them. I will probably get 1 too as I will eventually get a trolling motor.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I do some work with suppliers to the big 3 localy. After bringing 400 trojans to the supplier ,asked him what the deal was, he wasn,t selling them in his retail area.He told me,even though Ford, Chrysler and GM local plants could (and probaly should)use there own brands they prefer trogans for their tow vehicles, and he was happy to sell them . Reason he did'nt stock them in his retail area...other lesser quality batteries, with better known names sold better and he made more money off of them. He gave me a good deal on 2 new ones,lasted 5 years and I,ve used them til I upgrade this year to AGM.<br /><br /> Jim

phatmanmike

Captain

i got my group 29 marine batteries from walmart for 45.99 each. they are VERY big, yellow, and heavy.