adjusting motor height

honest-j

Recruit
I have a old 79 roughly 17'champion bass boat with 82 115hp evinrude, the motor has a jack on it. I think its out of adjustment it will plane, :eek: but its a slow start. any ideas??

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: adjusting motor height

The anti-ventilation plate should be at the same height as the bottom of the keel to start with.Often,you will be able to go alot higher depending on hull design/prop/etc..What size prop are you currently using?What are your RPM's<br />at WideOpenThrottle(WOT)?

honest-j

Recruit

alright now is when I confess I am little green. My tack reads 10000 with the motor off!!! Although it doesn't sound to be working the motor hard to pull the boat to a plane. My prop is 12 inches wide it has 282R stamped on the side. when I get to about 30-35 mph my bow starts pulling down. I have put my trim all the way down and still seem to have the same problem. I have been told when working right I should pop out of the water fairly quick.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Props are generally labeled with 2 numbers(10/13 for example)The first is the diameter,the second is the pitch.You will need to determine what pitch yours is.You will also need to get a reliable tach as it sounds like yours is broken(or might not be setup right)<br /> As far as the bow pulling down,do you mean porpoising?(bouncing up-n-down).When the motor/trim is tucked in(down)this can cause down force on the bow.When running wide open,you should be trimmed out to where the AV(anti-ventilation plate,just above the prop) is parallel with water surface. <br /> Where is the AV plate at in relation to the bottom of the keel/hull?It should be level with it or a little above it(this term is known as X-dimension,do a search)

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Try moving the trim pin in a hole that is closer to the back of the boat, not further out.<br />In case you dont know, the trim pin is the horizontal pin on the engine that can be removed and changed to different holes.<br />It should look something like this pin circled.<br />
tiltpin6wo.jpg