60 hp Evinrude dies while idling

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1992 model 60 hp Evinrude that dies during idle. Doesn't matter if it's cold or has run awhile. Runs great at all other speeds.Restarting requires choking and revving up with cold start lever while in neutral. I just bought this motor so I'm not familiar at all with it. It appears to be very clean. Gas is new with proper oil mix. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 60 hp Evinrude dies while idling

Does the primer bulb get soft before the engine dies?I'd check for air leaks at all fuel line connections.Might be time for the carbs to be rebuilt/cleaned since this motor is new to you.Afterwards,do the lynch and synch procedure and follow the directions in the manual exactly.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I hadn't noticed the bulb, but I'll try it today. What is the lynch and synch? I'm not a mechanic, but I usually pick up a manual on whatever I get and try to do some of the work myself.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is the procedure that synchronizes the carburetor/s to the timing.As the throttle plate is opened,the timing is also advanced and these need to be in synch for the engine to run its best.One of the steps in the procedure is the idle speed adjustment.Do yourself a favor and get the manual for your motor,it is a fairly simple procedure not requiring much mechanical ability at all.OMC manuals are the best IMO,I also have a Clymer manual thats OK(a bit vague sometimes)