115 HP 1981 Johnson Wiring Harness / starter

RickN

Cadet
I have two intermitten problem electrical problem and am not sure if they are related or the correct way to fix them.<br />1. Sometimes when I turn off my motor, than when I turn the key to restart the engine nothing happens (no power), but I can wiggle the big red multi-connector inside the motor case and I will get power and start the engine. I checked my big red multiconnector under the motor cover and found it fairly oxidized and have tried to clean it, but feel that maybe some of the wires maybe old and corroded that are not visible. It looks like a pretty intense trouble shooting job and thought that maybe I should just replace the whole wiring harness? Where is the best place to get a harness?<br />2. This problem was addressed before, but I have not resolved it so here it is again. I turn off my motor, and then try and restart it, some times the starter runs normal, other times it acts like it is not getting enough voltage & gets very hot. I checked the battery before starting and have 12.5 volts at the top of the selinoid, I checked the voltage at the top of the selinoid, while attempting to crank the engine and got 10.5 volts. I have a new 100 amp battery, and a second 100 amp battery which I jumped and still got the same voltage of 10.5. Last time I had to rap a cord around the flywheel (assist the starter) and pull start it while some turned the starter key. I initially thought it might be the ground so I ran the jumper cable from the battery ground to the starter ground but still got the same results. Anyone got any ideas on what trouble shooting I need to do or could this be related to Problem #1? I have spent allot of time cleaning all the other wire connections and also ran a second ground from where the battery grounds to the motor directly to the starter mounting bolts.

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 115 HP 1981 Johnson Wiring Harness / starter

Hmmmmmmm My guess is fix number one, and number two will go away

RickN

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I am going to clean the quick multi disconnect (not sure of the correct term) and check the wiring with an ohm meter. I went and ordered a new Rectifier just in case. any other suggestions on trouble shooting would be appreciated.

cariezo

Recruit

had same problem. took hot wire off selinode, looseened nut to turn bolt 180 deg. tightened nut attachect hot wire no more problems. Raymond

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Any resistance in your starting circuit will cause voltage drop across the point of high resitance and heat will build up there. The starter motor will get hot if it is running on too low a voltage and doesn't turn over fast enough. You need to be getting more than about 9.5 volts directly across your starter motor for it to operate correctly. Measure the voltage directly across the starter motor during cranking, i.e. from the +ve terminal to the ground of the starter motor. If it is greater than about 9.5V then you probably have a starter motor problem. If less, you need to check where you are getting the voltage drop. Measure the voltage during cranking from a good ground to each point in the circuit: battery terminal, solenoid terminal battery side, solenoid terminal starter motor side, starter motor +ve terminal and starter motor body. This will tell you where the voltage drops are occuring. Could be the solenoid or a bad connection somewhere else. Heat build up will be a clue.<br /><br />If your earth connection is poor, you will get a voltage reading on the case of the starter motor.<br /><br />Doesn't sound like this is anything to do with your rectifier (unless your battery isn't charging).

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

You also need to check of course that your outboard motor is turning over freely. Any excess friction in the motor will also cause the starter motor to slow down and draw excess current. Unlikely to be the problem but worth checking.