1990-40 HP JOHNSON

veech

Recruit
Thanks for the reply on 40hp leaking gas.I rebuilt the carbs(floats,needle valves and seats,floats etc.),with rebuild kit.I took the boat to the local lake to try her out,but could not get it started.I instantly smelled gas and assumed it was flooding.After numerous attempts I never got it to fire. Pulling the boat out,on the trailer ,I tried to start it in the lot to see if it would fire,and the gas just pours out from the air silencer cover while crankig.When I rebuilt the carbs I was very careful to follow all directions and float measurements(not saying that I did'nt get it wrong!),but have rebuilt carbs be fore on other engines.We did manage to catch 6 largemouth on the trolling motor,so the day was'nt a total waste!!Please help,stuck on land!!! Veech.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990-40 HP JOHNSON

6 bucketmouths ain't a bad days work veech.<br /><br />Take the cover off the carbs and pump the primer and see if the gas flows outta' the carbs. If it does, better go back in and recheck the carb(s) float thats doing the leaking.<br /><br />If the primer pumps up solid and no gas flows from the throats, try starting the engine and watch the throats. Gas pouring out? Check the primer lever is in the auto position...straight back. <br /><br />When you set the floats, the needle and seat should be in place. Invert the carb body and set the float level with the float bowl gasket surface. Recheck the fuel lines are in the right places.