Cooling problems?

laurincole

Seaman Apprentice
I have and evenrude 25. Ser# 25252. I notice that on the transom side of the shaft housing that there were two pee holes and were emmiting water. Now that I'm using the boat regulary I noticed that the bottom hole trickels water and the upper hole does nothing. Should I be worried.<br />Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cooling problems?

I don't know your 25 but many if not most of the OMCs have these holes to drain the water from inside the intermediate housing. They can get clogged up especially in salt water. That happened with my 75 9.9 and I had to get an extra long drill & drill the crud out. I suppose this is not vital if you live in an area that never freezes but I would clean them out next time you drop the lower unit. You might even clear the crud with compressed air from the outside.

jayboy70

Cadet
Re: Cooling problems?

Every year I have the tell-tell holes clogged up by the spiders of Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana. I found that a piece of yard trimmer line works like a charm while the engine is running so as the line breaks it loose it flushes out with the water. The compressed air might blow this kind of debris back into the engine passage where the heat might set it so it won't come out. I see you are in Louisiana as I am so figure this may help you.