Cobalt 21 center of gravity

bbracken

Seaman Apprentice
I'm building a new house and am installing anchor points above the garage so I can lift my boat off the trailer for storage/maintenence. Can someone tell me where the center of gravity is? (fuel tank empty). I'm guessing about 2/3 aft.<br /><br />1988 Cobalt 21 w Merc 5.7/260<br /><br />Thanks

495v

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobalt 21 center of gravity

I can't answer your question but I just had a garage built on a new home for my boat and your tactic sounds a bit odd. Were would these anchor points be located? wouldn't this put alot of strain on the structure of the garage? Is this garage seperate or attached to the house? Like I said, sounds odd but interesting. Would like to hear more.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

finding someone who owns this exact boat that has lifted it and knows COB is probably thin. the only way to tell 4 sure is to do it yourself...<br />if u can, find somewhere to pull her up and see where it tilts.<br />just my .02<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with 495v. That is tremendous weight for typical wood framing to stand up to. Especially the way houses are built these days. Now a bridge crane with steel legs to the floor would be a different story.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Kelly Cook

495v

Chief Petty Officer

That's exactly what I was thinking, Kcook. I couldn't imagine hanging a 3500LB boat from my garage rafter's. He must have something else in mind, perhaps a crane like you had mentioned. Sounds FISHY.

bbracken

Seaman Apprentice

It's a little more complicated than "hanging it from the rafters", but that's the general idea. It's a truss roof,and some of the trusses are doubled. I have four anchor points with ~1000 lb on each. The trusses are supposed to be capable of the load, but I will measure the deflection the first time I put a load on. The load will be on the trusses until I pull the trailer away and rest the boat on a cradle.<br /><br />Trust me.<br /><br />Oh yeah, call me a softie, but I also put heating coils in the floor.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

So it's just a temporary rig just to get the trailer out and then the weight will be releaved from the trusses? Still sounds scary. Heating coils in the floor too. You went all out huh?