function of the quadrant?

Merrill

Seaman
A few questions about my 1961 Evinrude 40 hp with an Evinrude quadrant. <br /><br />Do you need to be at idle to go from nuetral to reverse or fwd?<br /><br />Can you go wide open in fwd only? <br /><br />Must be in nuetral to start? <br /><br />I was having trouble getting full throttle in fwd but it seems to have "fixed itself", not sure what the problem was. <br /><br />Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: function of the quadrant?

Do you need to be at idle to go from nuetral to reverse or fwd?<br />You must be near idle. There's a throttle position lockout for above about 1/3 throttle for neutral. Have a look on the starboard side of the engine above the shift lever. The big brass bar interferes with the magneto plate.<br /><br />Can you go wide open in fwd only?<br />Yes, the neutral lockout also limits reverse to about 1/3rd throttle. If you ever saw the reverse thrust bearing compared to the forward, you would understand why. :) <br /><br />Must be in nuetral to start?<br /><br />No. But the engine won't crank if the throttle is set much past 'Start' due to the safety switch on the port side crammed between the block and armature plate.<br /><br />Evinrude quadrant I'm not sure what you mean by this? Could you explain please?<br />EDIT: I think you're talking about the big brass bar (Shift lockout). If so, quadrant is a much better name. :) <br /><br />If you were only getting 1/2 rpms, suspect ignition problems. Loosing one half the ignition can be caused by a variety of things. When the magneto is healthy, it'll throw 3/8" long sparks off both cylinders.<br /><br />PS - I'm presuming this is a mechanical shift 40hp. If yours is the selectric shift with the pushbuttons, please indicate. Thanks!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: function of the quadrant?

I was puzzled by the "quadrant" thing, myself. I believe he's referring to the remote control unit.<br /><br />Speaking of reverse, I don't think most folks would want to go much above idle in reverse anyhow. On my boat, you'd be taking on water pretty darned quick.<br /><br />I've seen a lot of people shifting with the throttle too far advanced. I think a lot of folks' engines don't idle well, and they try to compensate by shifting at a higher RPM.<br /><br />I note that my RDS-20 shifts very nicely at idle. Anything above that and it's a bit ugly. I wouldn't do it.