One more tilt prob

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
The upper tilt pin on my 1983 J90 CF(J90TLCTE)appears to have been untouched in 22years!Heat,hammering w/drift pin,PB Blaster, more heat more pounding.....you can see where this is going.<br />Sooooo... has anyone simply cut the pin out and replaced with a new one? If so what would be my best way to approach this? Sawz-all? (tight fit)<br />cutoff wheel? <br />The trim rams won't retract and T&T motor needs replacing and I can't get it out.....I need to go fishing.<br />Help<br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />Dave

D

DJ

Re: One more tilt prob

Dave,<br /><br />I'm thinking that even if you cut the pin, you still have to get it out of the housing.<br /><br />Not sure cutting it will accomplish anything.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I thought that it might be easier to remove three little pieces than one long one. It's very frustrating. Maybe I need to take it somewhere. $$$$$$ :confused: $$$$$

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That requires a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum surrounding the pin. Of course that'll melt the nylon bushings in the top of the tilt cyl but that's no big exp[ense.

D

DJ

That requires a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum surrounding the pin. Of course that'll melt the nylon bushings in the top of the tilt cyl but that's no big exp[ense.<br />
Agreed. And the paint. :mad: <br /><br />The trick is to expand (heat) the surrounding component (bracket), not the pin.<br /><br />Go easy with the hammer. Aluminum does not have the strength of the steel pin.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, I was just looking for an easier way out. I'll take another stab at it tonight.<br />Really is a two man job huh!?<br /><br />Dave

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Just talked with my buddy Tom here at Precision Mfg (they do a lot of engine work)and he seems to think I should pull the motor off the transom and get at the trim motor that way.<br />Waddya think? I guess it's worth a try although I've never pulled a motor before. Time to find a sturdy tree branch ;) <br /><br />Dave

D

DJ

Just talked with my buddy Tom here at Precision Mfg (they do a lot of engine work)and he seems to think I should pull the motor off the transom and get at the trim motor that way
I thought you already did that. :confused: <br /><br />My fault, that is a good idea.