Throttle/Shift control Problem?

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was trying to do a link & sync on my Johnson 115 (115ETL78C) When I shifted the throttle forward with the engine off, the shifter seems to jump a tooth in the nylon gear(in the controller) and now will not go into reverse. This has happened once or twice before and required the disassembly and realignment of the shifter control.<br /><br />Is this normal??? It works fine as long as you don't try and shift it without the engine running. It looks like their may be a tooth missing from the nylon "gear". Are replacment parts available for the shifter??? OR replacement shift controllers available?<br />ANY IDEAS HEAR???<br />Thanks

angus63

Captain
Re: Throttle/Shift control Problem?

It is best to remove spark plug wires and rotate the prop when shifting with the motor off. This prevents the gear dogs from slamming into each other and restricting the throw of the controls. Trying to force it into gear statically may be the reason for the controls "skippin a tooth". For replacement parts best bet is calling around and looking for a used control for spares. Try Ralph at Lindenhurst Outboard "theoutboardwizard.com"<br />try to have as much info (model year part#...) and you can fax or email a picture to help identify.<br />Good luck<br />Edit You may be able to rotate the gear a bit and exclude the broken tooth during the shift. Just a thought!!

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ANGUS63, <br />I haven't taken the shifter apart in 2 years>>>the other time this happened was when I was getting the boat/engine out of "mothballs" after a 20+year lay-up.<br /> I don't know how to describe the nylon teeth on the shifter>>>I guess its a "rack gear", sort of an inline section of gear teeth. Its just 3 or 4 teeth that ingage with the shift cable end.<br /><br />My Dad originally purchased this engine from a Johnson Dealer in Lindenhurst back in '78>>>I wonder if its the same dealer?<br />Anyway, THANKS for your responces!<br />Jim<br /> :cool:

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I just put it back together>>>It has 3 nylon "gearteeth" that engage with 2 cast aluminum teath in the part that connects to the shift/throttle handle. As you shift forward the gears move the shift cable forward & then disengage to allow the throttle to continue moving forward> and as you pull it back, the gears engage just before idle to shift back to neutral. It all looks like it should, no bent or broken "teeth">>>But it just jumps if you shift it without the engine running (I know, I know>>>DON'T SHIFT WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING!) :rolleyes: <br /><br />Just wondering if it happens to others, or if I'm just lucky???I would HATE to have it start to do this when I'm out on the water, drifting the inlet or out in the ocean! cant shift into neutral or reverse & would have to jump the neutral safety switch. :confused: <br />\<br /><br />THANKS