1975 70hp Evinrude Question

pjm257

Cadet
Hello everyone,<br /> Once again I find myself with a question for the experts here. In febuarary this year I bought a 1975 Fabuglass with a 70hp Evinrude on it. After haveing the carbs rebuilt,water pump and the plugs replaced its been running like a champ. Havent had a single problem so far. But today when I went out to take the batteries out for a charge. I noticed a small puddle of blackish oil under the prop. After further investigation its apparent that there is a oilish build up inside the prop area. <br /> I had left the motor down in the run position after running her with the muffs lastnight. I dont usually leave the motor in this position so this is the first time I have noticed this oil puddle/ build up. <br /> I at first, thought that maybe it was a leak from some seal behind the prop. But after loosining the foot plugs I see the oil inside the foot is clear as can be. <br /> I run this motor (or try too atleast) at a 50:1 ratio. <br /> I was just wondering if this build up is simply from my running the motor to rich in oil or should I be worried and rush the boat down to my tech? <br /> I was mixing the oil by eye with a empty oil quart bottle. But recently bought a measureing container. So now the mixture should be right. I have noticed since useing the measureing container that the motor isnt smokeing anymore. <br /> And one more issue someone out there may be able to resolve for me.<br /> Since buying the boat I have been running her strickly in the lakes around my area. But I am a hopeless saltwater fisherman who drives 200 miles for a single day at the peir in charleston S.C. And I was wondering if there was any truth in what some people say about there being a diferance in the motors designed for salt and fresh water. <br /> And infact if there is a diferance would a motor as old as the one on my boat be subject to such diferances?<br /> Thanks in advance for the help <br /> Patrick

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 70hp Evinrude Question

most likely unburned fuel all 2 strokes leave some

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

The oil puddle is nothing to worry about, just unburnt fuel mixing with carbon deposits in the exhaust. Next time out give the motor a good run at WOT it will clear the exhaust.<br /><br />You will have no problem running the motor in salt water, just remember to clean it down well after and flush the cooling system with fresh water.

pjm257

Cadet

Thanks People for the fast reply. And man thats good to know about the salt/fresh water issue. :) now im a happy salt water fisherman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!