Flywheel hits coils

Hawken547

Recruit
The flywheel on my "64 40hp evinrude hits the coils. I noticed that the breaker plate was a bit loose.I adjusted the coils in farther to increase the clearance. It ran for about 5 minutes and sheared another key. Can the breaker plate being loose shear the flywheel key? I ordered a new plastic wear ring that fits between the plate and the retaining/advance plate. Will this correct the problem??<br />Thanks

G DANE

Commander
Re: Flywheel hits coils

Hitting magnets will usually not shear the key, but improper turqued flywheel nut or damaged taper in flywheel or cranckshaft end, will. If keyway has sharp corners from previous sheared keys, carefully file them off. Tapers can be fittet by rotation flywheel on cranckshaft without key, having coated cranckshaft taper with carborundum and oil. Be sure to clean everything up afterwards. Look correct torque up. Joe Reeves posted a fine cure for wobling armature plate earlier, do a search for one of these words, here and you will find it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel hits coils

With clean flywheel and crankshaft tapers, the flywheel nut must be torqued to 105 foot pounds. Any less torque results in a sheared key.