Need help IDing an Evinrude Yachtwin 4

aplourde

Recruit
A few years ago I purchased an Evinrude Yachtwin 4 from an ad in the local paper and ran it for two years without any trouble or any maintenance (including changing the plugs). What the heck, I figured, it's a sailboat. I didn't motor very much at all.<br /><br />Then I got off the water for a few years. Fast foward...<br /><br />The motor has some issues and needs maintenance; but I can not figure out the model number or year. There is no data plate that I can find. Removing the cover I found a couple of tags. One is round and set into the motor. It reads....<br /><br />B<br />1377528<br /><br />The other is a rectangular tag which is attached with a metal strip. It Reads....<br /><br />I6 E L<br /> MX<br />396512<br /><br />There are various other molded numbers inside; but I'm pretty sure those are the individual part numbers to the components. Any help?<br /><br />The motor appears to have been designed to have a plastic fuel tank strapped to the side, although I've been using a regular red external tank.<br /><br />Adam

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Need help IDing an Evinrude Yachtwin 4

Welcome to Iboats, Adam!<br /><br />I can't make head nor tail out of any model number hidden in there, but fortunately, we can pull some tricks with the serial number. Fortunately, Iboats has a good bead on that one:<br />B1361963 1987<br />B1377528 This is your one.<br />B1377641 1987<br /><br />So as you can see, that's most likely an '87 if the engine hasn't been changed. Here's the '87 model numbers for 4hp engines:<br />4RDHCU-4RDHLCU <br />4BRHCU-4BRHLCU <br />4RCU-4RLCU <br />4BRCU-4BRLCU <br />The model numbers with the 'L' are longshafts, and I believe a Yachtwin is always a longshaft. The 'B' ones are Belgian, which would match your serial number. The 'D' ones are set up for electric start with remotes while the 'R' ones are rope-start.<br />There's a good article on these 4hp engines over at:<br />bosunsmate.co.uk/johnson_4_part%201.htm <br /><br />Hope this helps!

aplourde

Recruit

Thanks. That definately helps. I'm off to try and buy a manual for it.<br /><br />BTW, bosunsmate.co.uk could not be found by my browser. But I appreciate the thought.

aplourde

Recruit

Err, scratch that. with a www the site works. Thanks.