Mercury 50HP 4T on a Boston whaler 17"

michmart

Recruit
Hi all,<br /><br />I bought and old Boston Whaler 17" with a broken Johnson 75HP.<br />I found a second hand 1995 Mercury 50Hp 4T for sale.<br /><br />I don't know if it is enought Hp for this boat. Did someone had experienced it ?<br /><br />About the Mercury 50 Hp i had been told that it was a Yamaha Based motor. Some guys had problem with the 1995 version. Something like cracks in the oil casing due to dilatation of the metal. <br />I don't know if it's really true ?<br /><br />that makes water mixing with oil.first model of 1995 they has many problem with DO

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 50HP 4T on a Boston whaler 17"

Howdy Michmart.<br /><br />Back in the late 60s and early 70s most Boston Whaler 16s and 17s were rigged with 50-55hp engines. They planed nicely and would reach about 30mph. <br /><br />The catalogs said that 35hp was the minimum for satisfactory performance. I think that meant that they would plane with 2 aboard and reach the mid 20s.<br /><br />All of those were crank-rated-hp engines.<br /><br />Modern ideas of what is satisfactory performance usuall requires 70 to 100hp.<br /><br />My BW 17 tops out at 39mph with a Suzuki DF70 EFI 4 stroke.<br /><br />I would look for a stronger engine than the 40.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

michmart

Recruit

JB,<br /><br />Thanks for your reply,<br /><br />I think i gonna try to repair the original engine ( a 75HP JOhnson stinger). By the way, if it isn't repaiable, I will look for another 70HP . A 2 strokes , We didn't found a lot of 4 stokes second hand in France.<br /><br />best regards <br /><br />Michel

BillP

Captain

I ran a 17' whaler with 50hp merc a couple of years. It was ok but not a speed demon. It definitely WASN'T underpowered in terms of jumping on a plane with several people aboard. But a 70hp 2 stroke is ideal for that rig.