71' Evinrude 60 Triumph - HELP!

pward

Recruit
I'm having trouble keeping it running.<br />It runs for just for about 5 seconds and quits.<br />Same in gear out of gear, no load or load.<br />It sounds like fuel flow to me, but can't find it.<br />Things I have done...<br />Replaced CDI ampilfier and all wires attached.<br />Replaced coil and coil wire.<br />Replaced spark plugs.<br />Checked spark and spark plug wires.<br />Checked flywheel and key.<br />Checked battery.<br />Cleaned carbs.<br />Replaced Fuel tank to Pump hose.<br />Checked fuel pump hoses.<br />Checked fuel at carbs, by pulling hose on carb and seeing pressure.<br />Checked choke mechanism, tried in all positions.<br />Checked all linkages, choke throttle, etc...<br />New gas 50:1 TCW3, unleaded mid-grade.<br />Changed tanks.<br />The engine has been in storage for about 3 years.<br />But I did all the changes except for the CDI unit before starting the engine. I also ran the gas out of the carbs before storing it.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: 71' Evinrude 60 Triumph - HELP!

After it runs for 5 sec. and stops, what do you have to do to re-start it again?

pward

Recruit

Just restart, then it runs another 5 secs or so. It's not 5 secs everytime. I can activate the choke or adjust throttle and it will last longer or shorter. But never more than 10 seconds. I just got a suggestion from a friend that called, he told me to get a clear tube and rig a connection between the coil and coil wire with a gap to see if the coil is loosing fire. I am also going to check the battery cables to see if they have break down in the copper.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Did it do this before you stored it 3 years ago?I didn't see any compression reading on that list you have up there. Should have been one of your first steps.

pward

Recruit

Nope, when it ran it ran excellent, plenty of power. It has always had an issue with the CDI unit, this is the 3rd one. That is why I'm going to check the battery cables. I was told years ago to always remove the battery cables when not in use and have a good charge on the battery before use, because it would burn up the CDI unit with low voltages. I have had it since 1997. The engine had been very well kept care of before and after I bought it. The engine is very clean for its age. In fact the only wear I have found is the prop and outer casing. All the linkages are tight.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you tried to spray a little premix in carbs when runnnig to see if that would extend running time?

pward

Recruit

Haven't tried that. I replaced the battery cables and checked all the wires in the rubber conduit going from the boat to the engine. Which didn't change anything. I found in monitoring the spark on the plugs, that one cylinder is not firing periodically. Going to check the wire. But, I found that if I manually force the choke all the way on,I can make it run and not stall. (The automatic choke doesn't close the valve completely) It has to be the carbs. I may have rings on the needle valve seats causing them to stick once the float closes them. Which could have happened since its been in storage for 3 years. I will tear down the carbs again tomorrow. I will try the premix too before I tear them down. By the way does anyone know if this model has a charging circuit to keep the battery charged. Thanks..

ketron47

Seaman

If factory orginal setup...it has a 9 amp charging capability.