63 40 Hp Big Twin carb question

Bollie

Cadet
I striped and cleaned the carb, now it seems that i can not get the air ajuster set right.<br />When i remove the air needle screw completly the enjin starts to rev up, if i just stick it back in, the motor runs more even but when i turn it in - at the piont where the thread starts to catch the motor bogs down. Can the air passages still be blocked.

Bollie

Cadet
Re: 63 40 Hp Big Twin carb question

I did went through the drill of turning it all the way in and back it one turn out. At that setting the enjin will barely run.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what did you clean the carb with?<br /><br />and did you put a new kit into it? (new gaskets etc...)

Bollie

Cadet

I used the carb cleaner in a spray can, i also just ordered a carb kit from NAPA. The problem i have now is the part number for the gaskets of the reed valve cover. The sales man at NAPA wants a part number and i can not find it online. Is there somebody that can help me with that even the original part number will help

Paul Moir

Admiral

OMC 311365, NAPA (Sierra) 18-1225 - gasket between the block and read plate<br />OMC 311364, NAPA (Sierra) 18-1228 - gasket between the reed plate and manifold.<br />(If you want for some reason, you can subsitute 311364 with 311365, but not the other way around!)<br /><br />Sierra has these gaskets lised as for a '40HP Commercial' but it fits 33hp, 28hp, 30hp, 35hp, and 40hp engines from the fifties and sixties.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />PS - when rebuilding your carb with the new carb kit, be sure to remove the soft plug in the top so you can directly clean out the idle orifaces.

Bollie

Cadet

Thank you sir that help a lot. My first experianse with boat enjins is not to woppie, i bought this motor that was supposed to be in good running order - turns out to be in no so good running order. It also slips out of gear on high speed, i swop the clutch dog and the forward and reverse gears around. i hope it will work like that.

Bollie

Cadet

My 14 year old son can not wait to get back on the water, he had his first taste of fishing from the boat and now i got a nagging kit on my hands as well.<br />thank you