New cables on OMC, only have reverse, help

FishnMinn

Cadet
I have a 48spl OMC that I put new control cables on. I got the motor used. This is the first I have had it running, and upon testing it, I find that I have neutral and reverse but not forward gear.<br /><br />I am sure its just an adjustment or error in my connections, either at the motor or in the control box. Anyone run into this and have experience what I need to check, fix or do to get both forward and reverse going? (the motor starts, runs great, shift into reverse fine, could it just be the thumb roller adjustment connecting the cable to the linkage?)<br /><br />TIA!

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New cables on OMC, only have reverse, help

Howdy...<br /> Remove the cable from the engine and try shifting it by hand. Start the motor and try shifting it also. if it shifts good than the cable is out of adjustment on the motor. Just screw it in or out and your all set

Walker

Captain

To initially set the cable put the motor and the control box lever in neutral. Adjust the cable so that it hooks to the shift linkage and the trunion fits into the slot for it.

FishnMinn

Cadet

it was the cable adjustment. I had it set too long so that it didnt engage forward. Its working perfect now, thanks a ton guys!!