Fill/Drain Plug Seal - Washer or 'O' Ring?

driver440

Cadet
I am changing the gearcase oil on a 1982 evinrude 70hp and need some advice on the bottom (drain) seal. The old plug has an 'O' ring which sits neatly in an indentation at the head end of the plug. I went to buy a new one at the evinrude dealer and he came up with the same nylon washer for both the fill/drain plug and the higher oil level plug.<br /> <br />The 'O' ring looks like it might fit as standard but maybe the previous owner replaced the original nylon washer with an 'O' ring? Can someone confirm what the seal should be on this engine? <br /><br />If anything, I would guess that the 'O' ring would provide a better seal than a nylon washer?<br /><br />Appreciate your guidance.<br /><br />Dave

sycamore

Seaman
Re: Fill/Drain Plug Seal - Washer or 'O' Ring?

I have the same concern. I have a 1988 88SPL with the O-ring type plugs, the replacement seals were the nylon washers. I ended up going to dealer and buying the new plugs that came with nylon washers and have a allen head instead of a slotted head. The underside of the plug heads is different, the older is made for o-ring and newer made for nylon washer. I think I will use the new plugs only because the slotted head on my old plugs is rolled over so much that they are hard to remove. Otherwise I feel the o-ring would also do a better job.

angus63

Captain

Three points:<br />1) if there is an undercut where the threaded portion meets the head, yuo need an o-ring.<br />2) No undercut you need a washer.<br />3) o-rings reusable after visual inspection, nylon washers must be replaced after intial torquing of the plug: "one time use".<br /><br />Since older LU sometimes have the plugs replaced due to worn slots, you'll need to check which kind you have before selecting a seal.<br /><br />Good luck

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1982 70hp Johnson and it has the nylon washer type plugs on both drain and vent. I have owned it since new and they are the original plugs. Nylon washers work good, but like angus said they are 1 time use only, that's where most people get their water intrusion from, not replacing them every time.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Where can you buy the nylon washers other than at dealer? Could you assume that any nylon washer of the correct size would work? I'd like to buy them more conveniently. Cheaper would be nice too, but that's not the issue. The issue is getting a set in the evening or on Sunday when dealer is not open. That plus the dealer's across town and hardware stores and Lowes is nearby.

angus63

Captain

At appx $0.50 US each, pick up 10 pcs at a time and you'll have worry free years.