Non-working tilt/trim on evinrude 88 hp

jlegg

Recruit
I know little about boat motors but can fix anything if given good instructions. I was running my brother-in-law's boat the other day in a marsh. The engine started sputtering and then stopped. I figured the water intake had gotten clogged and it overheated. I got a tow in then cleaned out the clogged intakes and let it cool down. Next morning, the engine worked fine but I could tilt the motor up or down at all. I know I didn't run aground in any way that might have damaged the lift mechanism, but it did stop working when the engine overheated. I cannot lift it manually, it's stuck in the down position. I can't pull it out of the water to work on it (the engine will drag if I trailer it). I can hear the relays clicking to actuate the tilt lift when I try but there is no other noise, like a hydraulic pump. I checked both sides of the relay lines and there is good voltage across all terminals. Any Ideas of any sort would be appreciated!! This is a Evinrude 88HP SPL. 1996 Model #: XE88TSLEDR Serial G04174969 --- Please help, Thanks, boatstupid

Walker

Captain
Re: Non-working tilt/trim on evinrude 88 hp

There is a manual relese screw. On your motor I think its on the port side. Look for a hole through the side of the transom mount down about half way of the mid section. Look in that hole and you will see an slotted screw head. Open that screw about a full turn. You should be able to now lift the motor by hand.