Carb jets- How many turns out? 1989 40hp rude

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was on the lake yesterday and the boat ran well only when idling I had to feather the throttle. I had rebuilt the carbs a few months ago. Guess everything has settled in because if I don't keep the throttle feathered it will die. I got home and screwed my jet screws in on both carbs to find I had them at 4 turns out a piece! I seated them, and then unscrewed 2 and a half turns out and started it on the muffs and she idled much better.<br /><br />My Question- how many turns out is a good place to start? What's is standard?

DR.billZ

Recruit
Re: Carb jets- How many turns out? 1989 40hp rude

Unless I am mistaken the jets should be snug. The air screw should be "so many" turns out. Sounds to me like you are leaving your jets loose and they will continue to get more loose thru engine vibration. Eventually they'd just fall out.<br />This is unless these carbs are different than any other carbs I've messed with in my life.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you do the lynch&synch procedure after you rebuilt the carbs?If you dont have the manual for that motor,i'd get one.Best money i've ever spent for my engine.Try a search for that procedure for your motor to see if you get any hits.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Idle mixture screws should be turned out 2 to 2-1/2 turns to start. Then turn in 1/12 increments to achieve best idle. You need to do this in the water. Back pressure does not exist in the driveway. It will idle differently in the water.