20 hp johnson won't stay in forward gear can anyone help me?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 20 hp johnson won't stay in forward gear can anyone help me?

What is the Model number of this 20hp? People here can probably help you, but we need more information. What, exactly, is it doing, and when? What have you tried already?<br /><br />Is this being used as a tiller motor or remote? That's the sort of thing that helps people help you.<br /><br />The problem could be any of several things.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

Hey cat Its a 1968 20hp johnson outboard on a 14ft alum johnboat. Model# FD 22M I repaced the hub in the prop yesterday and last night we we're coming back from fishing and it started jumping out of gear. no warning or anything.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Does it feel like you hit a log when it happens? Or does the motor just rev up with out picking up speed?<br /><br />If it feels like you are hitting logs, most likely the clutch dog lobes or gear lobes or both have worn out and will not stay engaged.<br /><br />If the motor just revs up with out picking up speed, most likely the prop hub has spun.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ The new hub in the prop is fine, as your going along you can watch the shift lever on the side of the motor start to ease back and pop out of gear. You can kinda hold it down put it will jump out anyway.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Most likely the lobes. Does it pop out at low end idle or just high end? Usually the lobes hold at low end....just when you get up to above 1/2 throttle and get some torque on the lobes will they pop out.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ It does at low idle. It started all of a sudden, and I don't use the boat all that often. Just piddle around in the cove below the house, no ruff treatment. The motor is old but not used much, a old man had it and took real good care of it. In the winter time he would store it in a barrel and run it for a little bit once a month. Thanks for the help

drastic

Cadet

other things it could be<br />low fluid in the lower unit<br />broken shear pin<br />connector link for the shifter in the middle of the leg- screws could be loose

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

what weight of oil should i use to replace the old? Thanks

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

never mind last post. I replaced oil in lower unit, and the oil had a little water in it but no metal pieces. I flush the unit out over a screen till all white fluid was gone and i still have reverse and no forward. thanks for all the help!

fireman57

Captain

If you had water in it then you have a bad seal somewhere in the LU. You need to find it and fix it. While you are in there might as well change the water pump too. As drastic said check the linkage behind the inspection plate about 1/2 way down the lower unit. You have to disconnect this anyway to drop your lower unit. If I remember correctly if you put it in forward it is easier to get to this linkage.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Jumping Out Of Gear - Manual Type)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />This pertains to lower units on all OMC manual shift outboard engines, or any OMC engine with lower units defined as a Shift Assist or a Hydro Electric Shift unit which incorporates a "Shifter Clutch Dog".<br /> <br />Within the lower unit, splined to the prop shaft is what is most often referred to as a clutch dog, hereafter simply called dog. The dog has at least two lobes protruding from it on both ends, facing both forward and reverse gear. The forward and reverse gears also have lobes built into them near their center area. When the engine is running, in neutral, the gears are spinning constantly via the driveshaft being connected directly to the powerhead crankshaft, but the propeller does not turn due to the fact that the dog is centered between the two gears, and the dog lobes are not touching either of the gear lobes.<br /> <br />When the unit is put into either gear, shift linkages force the dog (and its lobes of course) to engage the lobes of the the gear. The lobes of the spinning gear grab the lobes of the dog, and since the dog is splined to the prop shaft, the propeller turns.<br /><br />The lobes of the dog and gears are percisely machined, most with right angled edges that could be installed in either direction, and some with angles slightly varied that must be installed in one direction only (one end only must face the propeller). Dogs that can be installed in one direction only, if reversed, even if the dog and both gears were new.... would jump out of gear almost immediately. Keep in mind that the lobes are percisely machined with sharp angles!<br /> <br />Due to improper adjustment or worn shift linkages, but usually due to improper slow shifting, those percisely machined sharp edges of the lobes become slightly rounded. Now, with those lobes rounded, as the rpms increase, the pressure of the gear lobes upon the dog lobes increases to a point whereas they are forced apart (jumping out of gear), and due (usually) to the shift cable keeping tension on the engines shift linkages..... the unit is forced back into gear giving one the sensation that the engine has hit something, and the cycle continues.<br /> <br />Some boaters have the mistaken belief that shifting slowly is taking it easy on all of the shifting components..... Wrong! Shifting slowly allows those percisely machined sharp edges of the dog and gears to click, clank, bang, slam against each other many times before they are finally forced into alignment with each other..... and this is what rounds those edges off! The proper way to shift is to snap the unit into gear as quickly as possible.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

To joe and evrybody else, Thank you very much with this problem. This has help very much. I will let ya'll know when I got it fixed Thanks again Bryan