1976 9.9 Johnson lubrication ??

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got tired of waiting for a buddy of mine to "de-winterize" my moter and was wondering if you could tell me what type, of lubricating oil to use. I also need the position of the drain, and fill holes. Thanks for answering the incredably obvious ! (My first outboard)

herters

Cadet
Re: 1976 9.9 Johnson lubrication ??

Two flat headed (for a flat screw driver) stainless plug screws with plastic washers on the bottom side of the lower unit. One is about 6-7 inches above the other. Lower one is the drain. Top one is the full/oil level height plug. You will also see a phillips headed screw on the side of the lower unit--DO NOT take this one out. Get lower unit gear oil from jobber or dealer. With both plugs out shove nose of fill tube in lower hole. Fill it up till oil comes out the top hole. Put top plug in first. Vacume will keep just about all in the unit untill you install lower plug.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good Morning Rattle........I will jump in here and see if I can answear your questions. When you say lubricating oil I am assuming you mean for your lower unit. Go to Canadian Tire and get their gear case oil. It's probably the cheapest place to get it from and it's good stuff. Go to a boat dealer and spend $19.00 on a hand pump to put the oil in with. Best money you will ever spend. When you look at the side of your motor, you will see 3 screws. The top flat head screw is your vent plug, then there is a phillips head screw which you do not want to touch..........again........do not touch the phillips head screw!!!!!!!!!!!! then the lower screw,flat head is your fill and drain plug. To drain the lower unit, remove the vent plug just above the anti caviation plate first and then the fill plug from the gear housing. Never remove the plugs if drive unit is hot. The phillips screw securing the shift fork is close to the drain plug and it's bad news if you loosen that screw or take it out. If you do, just go out and shoot yourself. According to the manuals, you should change this lower gear lube twice a year. Insert the oil or hopefully you get the habnd pump into the fill/drain hole(bottom screw) and inject until it comes out the top hole then put in top plug first and very quickly remove the pump from bottom hole and put in screw. Hope this helps you out with your questions. Remember, the hand pump is well worth the $19.00. Happy boating.....Ed

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. What type of gear oil ??<br />Will normal 80/90 wgt. oil do ? Or is it special outboard gear oil ? Thanks again

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Adding to that:<br /><br />The lower screw is the oil drain and fill plug, and is situated below the bulge where the prop attatches to the prop shaft - at the top of the skeg.<br /><br />The upper screw is above the AV plate, and is the only screw in this area.<br /><br />As Rat says, do not remove the crossheaded screw beside the lower drain plug - this is the pivot pin.<br /><br />You'll need 9 ounces of gearcase lubricant.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rattle-It's special outboard gear oil. Never use anything else other than the correct gear oil. Get it at Cdn Tire or boat dealer.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rattle-It's special outboard gear oil. Never use anything else other than the correct gear oil. Get it at Cdn Tire or boat dealer.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again guys. I will get the proper oil at Can. Tire. Thanks for the help