EVERYONE READ THIS AND PLEASE HELP!

ncornett1

Cadet
Have a J60TLETD motor , serial #G 03311022. What year is this motor? Also, I posted earlier on gas leaking from my carbs. I was thinking a carburetor disassemble was in order(i have the shop manual) until the following happened... I had disconnected the fuel line and cleaned off gas spill last night. This evening I hooked up hose, primed bulb, turned key ON, lifted throttle halfway, held primer in for 10 count, let key out, then started the motor. She roared right up, scared me to death. All was fine, until motor died after about 4 mins. When she conked, I remembered the fuel line was disconnected. I put line back on, repeated procedure, but she wouldn't start. After several attempts, I switched red primer lever over to manual start, she fired right up. Didn't run long. I flipped red primer lever back to RUN and she fired up perfectly. I ran motor for approx. 15 mins. with no signs of problems. Motor ran great. I put a can of tuner on her and followed directions. Motor will sit overnight and tomorrow I will clean tuner from engine per instructions.<br /><br />1. Why did my motor fire right up with fuel line disconnected, but wouldn't when connected? Bad primer bulb? It feels firm, can't tell it's softening any...<br /><br />2. What should I do now?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for all opinions. I'm learning a TON on this site, I've read every relatable post I could find, but still stumped. Give me a direction to head in and I'll go!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: EVERYONE READ THIS AND PLEASE HELP!

Its a 1993. It sound like you have some trash in your carbs and it is keeping the needle from seating in its seat. It started because you were not pumping more gas in it and flooding it.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did this motor smoke alot after you connected the fuel line.

ncornett1

Cadet

smoked a bit, but not a lot. smoked much more when i put can of tuner on, but that's normal, isn't it? what would smoke tell me?

fireman57

Captain

Everything sounds normal but I wonder why you would throttle it halfway to start. Leave it at idle. You key choke will give it the fuel it needs. If it starts to die at the cold start just push the key in for a second to keep it running. IBNFSHN is right. The tuner will make it smoke more. Get ready for some serious smoke when you start it tomorrow. Also get a fresh set of the correct champions to put in it after your tuner gets run out.