Old evenrude need help

philitup

Cadet
I have an old Fisherman serial no. 5520 15401<br />I would like to know the year and hp and I can't seem to get the lower section off to replace the water pump. Is there a secret to getting it off.<br />any information would be appreciated. It just doesnt seem to want to pump. It's a real sweet runner just can't get it to pump sitting in the tub. Phil

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Old evenrude need help

Phil,<br />Looks like you have a 1960 5.5hp 'Rude.

philitup

Cadet

I am still looking for some info on the removal of the water pump. Could it be that it won't pump unless the thing is in gear?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Phil,<br /> Four bolts to remove the unit housing, plus the shift rod release under the powerhead - involved removal of the powerhead. LOTS of posts on the boards regarding the 5.5s - procedure is the same for all. Be careful with the pieces at the top of the driveshaft when you remove the powerhead. They MUST be returned in the correct order. Pump is mounted at the top of the gearcase housing.<br /> A manual is HIGHLY recommended...<br /><br />- Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There is a roll pin through the upper drive shaft that holds the lower crankshaft seals. Turn the drive shaft so that this pin will pass through a slot in the upper exhaust housing. You will see what I mean when you remove the power head.