Looking for a REAL outboard?

Clams Canino

Commander
Disclaimer: This is NOT mine, And I DON'T know the dood selling it. But this creampuff NEEDS a good home where it's loved.<br /><br />Link to Ebay 1250 <br /><br />It's a 1969 125 and I've NEVER seen one that clean or less used. I've never seen the stripes that unfaded. Were it on my coast I'd buy it in a NY minute. No it doesn't have power trim , but that's easily added. Yes, it still works with the modern Merc throttle/shifter. No, it does not use breaker points LOL, it's CDI.<br /><br />If you wanna repower your boat with a classic, this thing *will* get you noticed. I really hope it goes to someone who will love and appreciate it. I posted it here to increase it's chances of finding the right home. After 35 years and it looks and sounds like that... it deserves a lucky break.<br /><br />-W

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Looking for a REAL outboard?

nice clams, but MY '70 1150 looks better! LOL<br />the chrome on the faceplate isn't faded like this<br />one. he should have posted pics with the covers<br />off too. I'll be curious to see what it ends up<br />bringing in the end...

Clams Canino

Commander

He *did* post pics with the covers off. You need to use your scroll button. :D <br /><br />The guys on the inline board are drooling at it. hehe.<br /><br />He also has a QT clip of it running, ya he overeved it a bit with no load but...<br /><br />That guy here looking to repower with a 125 merc could save several thousand and not have to worry about the 2x4 idle issue. LOL I bet that motor has 10 years left easy before the wrap needs to come off. :) <br /><br />-W

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ok, see the pics in the video link. deff. a clean<br />motor! :D <br />what inline sight CC? S&Fly?

Clams Canino

Commander

Nope, it's an NNTP newsgroup (usenet) that uses outlook express.<br /><br />news://news.kraits.org/bigweek.mercury-inlines<br /><br />If you paste that into your web browser and your Outlook Express fires off correctly, it'll go right there. In order to post you'll have to right click the server / properties and put in a posting name and email info (you can spoof the email addy to avoid spam)<br /><br />If the link don't do it for ya, and you need more help hollar.<br /><br />-W

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ok, it's a newsgroup, not a website then?<br />thanks,<br />M.Y.

Clams Canino

Commander

Correct.<br /><br />The news server is: news.kraits.org<br /><br />The newsgroup is: bigweek.mercury-inlines<br /><br />The server is in the UK no less. lol<br /><br />Cool gang of inline nuts there.<br /><br />-W (one of the nuts)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hey Clams, you can bet I am watching that bad lad. I am not horribly far from it, and it does look good. I'll keep an eye on it, it would be nice to have a spare. I did notice the skeg looked a bit broken off, did you notice that, or am I high?<br /><br />Also, I have tried to post on the news forum, and reply to posts, but my posts don't seem to show. What could I be doing wrong?

Clams Canino

Commander

Right click the server name then properies and then put in the info you need to post.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Ok it must be in the water or something - LOL<br /><br />If that 125 isn't cherry enough, here's the nicest old 1100 I've seen out there. It's 93 cubic inch and was only made in '66 and '67, right before the 99ci stuff came out.<br /><br />Link to Ebay Merc 1100 SS <br /><br />Another super clean older CDI fired Tower. I watch Ebay every day for 99ci stuff, so I can't help but see these go by.<br /><br />-W

ZmOz

Captain

Wow! What's that doing on the back of that dirty old boat?! :rolleyes: I'm thinking of repainting mine and getting new decals after I get it running again...maybe it will look like that. :) I wonder if he would let me come look at it, I'm only a few miles from there... :D

Clams Canino

Commander

I've bought a few parts from him here and there and he's kind of an a$$ . <br /><br />But for *that* motor I'd just hold my nose and deal with him. <br /><br />If I lived where you did, I'd snag it, keep it safe, clean, and happy till someone needed it for a restoration of a vintage runnabout, and triple my money. :D <br /><br />-W

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Dang, the 1250 is already up to 800 bones and it still has a week to go. Guess its good to know for if I ever sell my 1250 I sort of know what it would go for....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

up to $1100 with a broken skeg and 3 1/2 days<br />to go??? feeling more confident about posting<br />MY '70 1150 now :D

Clams Canino

Commander

Ya, I'm impressed with how it's doing. Any good aluminum welder can fix that skeg easily. <br /><br />While I'm here. The video of that motor running is a textbook example of over-rev without load. In the video, the motor is revved 3 times. It's the middle (2nd) rev that goes too high. You can HEAR the parts floating a bit on that rev, unlike the other two revs.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

That 1100 is getting right up there too. It's kind of odd (and cool) that two of the best natural (unrestored) inlines hit the block at the same time. I watch these things ALL the time and I've never seen the likes of those two.<br /><br />-W

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and MY '70 is first year they changed combustion<br />chambers and went to direct charging...<br />they just look good though ;)

Clams Canino

Commander

"Direct Charge" could better have been called "Directed Charge" but you know the marketing boys. :) <br /><br />But yes, while not as efficiant as a loop charge, the new piston with the big concave deflector dam (eyebrow) proved to be much more efficiant than the older plain vanilla crossflow pistons. More of the intake charge swirled up and stayed in the chamber and more of the exhaust made it out the ports. <br /><br />The downside of this is that the motor needed to be detuned to make up for it a bit. They ran a lot hotter. While the 99ci 1250 had a 34 degree advance, the "direct charge" motors had a 27, then 23, and finally Merc settled on a 21 degree advance to stop from burning up pistons.<br /><br />Perhaps you could run CAM-2 gas and a 30 degree advance for racing, but I doubt it. :) I'd shudder to see one at the full 34 degree advance of the 1250, but I bet it would run like hell before it burned up. :D <br /><br />In some sick way I have a soft spot for the 1250 just because it's the only "different" 99ci inline and definately the most tolerant of abuse.<br /><br />The '69 1250 was a good outboard poised at the very edge of greatness. The greatness would come soon with the direct charge inlines being the unsdisputed "kings of the lake" through the early and mid 70's. <br /><br />Of course the V6's took over in the late 70's, but IMHO Mercury dropped the ball in the 90-150 hp range with those 3 and 4 cylinder loopers. Call me a dinosaur... but there's nothing like the sound of an angry inline screaming across the lake at 6000.<br /><br />My longtime boating buddy's (Charlie) mother is in her 70's now, but when I put my boat in on little Sebago she often tells me she know I'm in town 5 minutes before I knock on the door to visit her.<br /><br />"I'd know the sound of that damn boat anywhere!"<br /><br />The next day... "you guys were out drinking and screaming around the lake at three in the morning again weren't you??"<br /><br />What's funny is that it's been 3 different boats and three differnt motors. All inlines.<br /><br />-W

waterinthefuel

Commander

Ok maybe I'm too young to appreciate an older outboard, but both engines in this post, while in good shape, are ugly as sin! I'd go for the newer look any day!<br /><br />Must be because I'm part of generation Y, as in "Why do I have to get up and work?" :D

Clams Canino

Commander

Ahhhh my child, step into the light. LOL :) <br /><br />You never got a look at one from *behind* the boat on the end of the rope. They are so narrow as to practically dissapear. I have one mounted on a brand new hull, and I get a *lot* of comments on it, just for being different.<br /><br />Cosmetics aside, they remain viable alternative power for a boater who's a bit mechanicly inclined and doesn't have enough dough to run out and buy a new 125. That 1250 went off at the highest price I've seen one go at, and it's still a mere fraction of new costs.<br /><br />While in thier day, they were "top end power", with the advent of the bigger V6's they might best be called "mid range" powered outboards. <br /><br />Time and "progress" marches on...<br /><br />-W