Need infos about JOHNSON 70hp STINGER

michmart

Recruit
Hi all,<br /><br />I gonna by a new boat. It's a Boston Whaler 17" with and old Johnson 70 STINGER. The engine starter and strator are broken. I don't know if is a good idea to repair it. <br />Did any one know the difference beetween Johnson 70 HP and Johson 70 HP stinger. The motor is a 1980 one.<br />I also wander how fast can i drive with this king of Motor<br />Some one tell me to check the compression before repairing it. How can i do that if i get no starter ans stator ?<br /><br />Thanks for reply<br /><br />Best regards

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need infos about JOHNSON 70hp STINGER

Hi, Mitch.<br /><br />You have a three cylinder, three carb, loop scavenged engine, one of the truly great designs.<br /><br />Your starter can be repaired. Do that, then check the compression.<br /><br />If the compression is good the engine is probably worth restoring to operation.<br /><br />I have had a Johnny 70 on a Boston Whaler Montauk. Top speed will be in the mid thirties with a 17" prop.<br /><br />The 70 Stinger was a prettied up 70. Almost all, if not all parts are interchangable. Most of the Stingers were 75s, slightly hopped up 70s.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

michmart

Recruit

Hi Jb,<br /><br />Should i buy a new starter before checking the compression or can i turn by hand the propoeller to check the compression,<br /><br />Do you know witch is the good value for the compression<br /><br />Did you had an idea of how much fuel you need for an hours with this Stinger <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Bye

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mitch.<br /><br />Is you starter missing, or just not working? "Broken" is a bit vague. If a 12v battery is jumped directly to the terminal on the starter and to the block, what happens?<br /><br />Most of the 70s have accomodation on the flywheel to turn it with a rope. Turning the engine by turning the prop would not do.<br /><br />If you can spin it with a rope, compressions of 90psi or greater and within 10% of each other will indicate a good test.<br /><br />Good luck, and keep us advised in this thread. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If in fact the starter is shot, I would look around for a shop that rebuilds automotive starters. Not sure if there are many in France, though. But someone there has to do it! They can rebuild it for less than half the cost of a new one, maybe less! Shipping, plus cost from the states would be awesome. But be sure it's bad first! A little more info on the starter would help us diagnois your problem better...Also, you can buy repair kits here if you are handy. Or there is this place:<br /><br /> web page $85.00 US for a starter. $90.00 US for a stator...

phatmanmike

Captain

coulndt he attemt tp rope start the motor to get a good compression check, if he gives it a big tug.. my buddy has 1 1978 70hp 3cylinder and we rope start that all the time , its real easy to spin.. just a thought...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, he could. I've pull started an old 65HP Merc before, so I don't see why not. He could even remove the other 2 plugs to make it easier. After all, you're only checking one cylinder at a time. Also, if he has a 1/2 " drill with the proper socket for the flywheel nut, that will work to turn the flywheel.