Johnson/Evinrude does not shut off

Hello, I have a 86'Johnson Evinrudee 28spl. The motor runs great. With execption that occasionally the motor does not shut off. I've replaced the iginition switch / plug / and checked for bad faulty connections. The only way to shut if off is to pull the fuel line because even the kill switch didnt work. Although after I replaced the ignition switch the engine still didnt shut off when I turned the key but it did shut off after I pulled the kill switch. Anyone have any ideas?

jackrg

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson/Evinrude does not shut off

It sounds like the ground line on the kill switch is loose. I had the same problem on my nissan.<br />Check the connections on the kill switch.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The switch is a normally open switch that when it closes(Like using the kill switch), grounds out the ignition. Somewhere inside the control box or on the ignition switch, there is a broken wire to the switch or corroded terminal on the switch. You have proved that it is contained to the control box, because it will shut off using the kill switch. Check the wires inside the control box closely and look for a break. It may even be an internal break in the wire, inside the wire sheathing. The same wire that is used for the kill switch is used for the ignition switch kill circuit. This normally is a yellow wire with a black stripe that goes from the kill switch to the "M" termial(Between the "C" and "B" terminal) on the ignition switch, which has two yellow wires connected at the ignition switch. Trace it down from the kill switch to the ignition and you will find your problem. Make sure all the connections are tight when you do this. I think your problem is at the "M" terminal at the ignition switch or a bad ground.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever get it to shut off??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to JohnnyRude Troubles.