water pump location

texasgirl

Recruit
I have a Johnson 120 model# VJ120TXEND<br />serial # G03095027<br />My husband needs to replace the water pump and probably the bearings. We have ordered a manual, but, it won't be in until next week. We have guests coming to go fishing and we can't run the boat. The water isn't ejecting until we have drove for about 30 seconds and a little vibration. My husband has worked on motors before, but not this type. Can someone PLEASE tell me where to locate the water pump. I know that it's in the lower unit, but, he doesn't want to just start taking it apart without knowing where it is. I would post a picture, but, there isn't anywhere to do that, that I can see. If someone might have a diagram page or something that they are willing to share that shows where it is, I would really appreciate it and you would be saving my memorial weekend. Thank you

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water pump location

Hi Texasgirl. I have the same engine and just changed the pump. You have to disconnect the shift rod located under the carbs before the lower unit will come down (off). After you remove all the lower unit bolts plus under the trim tab. the unit will come off. DO NOT MESS WITH THE SCREW ON THE LOWER STARBOARD SIDE OF PROP HOUSING. After the unit is off it will be pretty self explanatory. <br /><br />Also, make sure he does not alter(rotate) the shift rod during removal/installation as it wont shift like it's supposed to. You should go to the library for a seloc or clymer manual until yours arrives. <br /><br />I am not a mechanic. More smarter people will have more info. Just getting you started.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, that's a 1992 engine. Go to ishopmarine and click "Parts Lists" at the top of the page. Follow the links to get to your model number engine.<br /><br />There, click on the 120 tx gearcase link. You'll see an exploded view of the gearcase, which will show you the position of the water pump.<br /><br />However, replacing the water pump isn't that simple, actually, although it's not terribly difficult <br /><br />You really, really need the manual for this job, to make sure you do it right the first time. Try your local library. Many have manuals for outboard motors. If you're in a small town, you may have to go to a larger library, though.<br /><br />Unless you folks have done this job before, I highly recommend that you wait for the manual or find another source for one. Seriously!

CATransplant

Admiral

Another suggestion: If you absolutely MUST have this engine working by next week when your company arrives, it might be best to have the work done by a dealer's shop. It's not a huge job, and they can do it quickly.<br /><br />The peace of mind might be worth it. It's a busy time for outboard repairs, but if you hold your mouth just right, you might be able to get yours in for the work.

texasgirl

Recruit

Thanks so much.<br />As for the library, ours would fit in my garage :eek: )<br />But, I will tell my husband all that you have said.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

There are around 10,000,000,000 posts about water pumps if you use the search function at the top of the page. :)

Walker

Captain

Where in Texas are you? It's normal for that motor to take maybe 15 seconds or so to flow water out the tell-tale.

texasgirl

Recruit

Originally posted by Walker:<br /> Where in Texas are you? It's normal for that motor to take maybe 15 seconds or so to flow water out the tell-tale.
I'm about 2 1/2 hours northeast of you at Lake Tawakoni