toe in on twin engines

atlantic

Cadet
i have a halmatic arctic 24 rib with twin 200 mariners with 5 bladed 21 pitch props. someone mentioned about how much tow in i should have.the engines at the momement are set straight with no tow in or tow out. can anyone advise me as to the best recomendation please.<br /><br />EDIT: changed title to clarify the question. Moving to General Outboard

Sandy Mill

Recruit
Re: toe in on twin engines

Doesn't look like you've had too much response on that one! I don't know the answer myself, but have you tried Kevin on the 'Hotribs' site?www.hotribs.com :cool:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome!<br /><br />On V bottoms we like to toe in 1/8" to 3/8" max. 1/4" is the target and test for performance and water pressure. <br /><br />On tunnels you can go in or out depending on where the gearcases are in relation to the sponsons and their shape.<br /><br />Prop rotation plays a part too.<br /><br />Good luck!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Actually, the most accurate way to set the toe-in or toe-out on a twin engine rig is to disconnect the tie bar between the motors. This is assuming that there is only 1 steering cylinder, if hydraulic. Run the boat and the "loose" motor will follow the "steering" motor exactly at the correct angle for max. efficiency. If it is safe, have a helper adjust the tie-bar to fit the motor while at normal cruise and trim. That way you will have a perfect setup and then you can measure the toe-in or out for future reference.

atlantic

Cadet

many thanks <br />i tried what you suggested and there is a far better sea handling performance, with very little cavitation on fast turns at 48 knots. for info there is approx 6-7 mm toe in.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I usually shoot for 1/4 inch or so toe in and I want the rooster tails to converge about 20 ft behind the boat, make your adjustments in small increments and you will find the spot that works best for your paticular load/hull.<br /> good luck and keep posting