Handheld tachometer

Flak

Cadet
I searched the topics on handheld tach's but I'm still unclear on this issue. I'm starting my rebuilt motor this weekend and the only tach I have available is a MAC EM710.<br />MAC claims it will work on engines 1-12 cylinders, it has an inductive pickup. Will this work OK? I assume it will as the inductive pickup will register each time cylinder 1 fires.<br />Am I missing something obvious here?<br /><br />Thanks!

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Handheld tachometer

i have a mac mutimeter and it has a tack on it and it works great on 2 and 4 cycle engens 1 - 12 cylenders i use it on my bought all the time

Flak

Cadet

Great! Thanks Russeller. I wound up getting a handheld digital tach from my neighbor too. The type with the reflective strip you stick on the flywheel. So, either way I'm covered. <br />I can't wait to get this thing running. I've had the power head in my garage since last autumn, and painstakingly, lovingly rebuilt it, .020 over, all new except the crank and rods. I'm heading up to my father-in-law's lake house in MA today to put her back together. I hope the weather gets better. It's been raining and 50deg the last few days. Not exactly ideal weather for a break-in. (Not ideal for the mechanic, the engine doesn't care :D )<br /><br />Thanks again!

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

i know what you mean about the weather i am going out today get some fishing and boating in i just rebiult my cards where in ny are you ?

Flak

Cadet

I'm in Dutchess County, near Poughkeepsie.<br /><br />According to the Weather Channel online, tomorrow will be our best day. 75*, 40% chance afternoon showers. Naturally, this is when I'll be reassembling the power head. I'm going to try to get it done this afternoon, but no way am I going to rush it. Guess I'll be breaking it in in the rain. The problem is, my wife's siblings also use the boat. I MUST have break-in complete when I leave the lake. The rest of her family will just blow it up and say, "Oh well" :rolleyes: <br /><br />If you haven't dealt with a "shared" boat before, it really, really stinks. It's nearly impossible to properly maintain. <br /><br />Love that signature Russeller. :)

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope never had to share a boat thank god it must not be fun i hope ever thing works out for you keep me up to date on it what kind of motor you have ? where do you fsh over there ? thanks about the sinature been using it since i got a new bait and always catching them

Flak

Cadet

The motor is an 86 Johnson 70 on a 1974 Starcraft America 15'. A great little boat for the small lake my father-in-laws house is on. The lake is called Lake Wickaboag (wikabog) in West Brookfield Ma. The fishing is OK, but it's a small lake. About 1 1/2 miles by 3/4 mile and very shallow, about 11' deep max. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out a 5lb large mouth a few years back. Tons of pike though, and the little bastages up here fight like crazy. Make you think you have a 10lb fish on the line when it's a 2lb Pike. lol.<br /><br />I got here around 3PM and removed the lower unit and replaced the water pump. I decided to wait until tomorrow to start installing the powerhead. Just gonna take my time. Besides, this is a semi-vacation, there's beer to be had.
guinness.gif

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

inknow what you mean about the fish they fight good i took mine out today and ran great going to get some fishing done this weekened and i dont care about the weather heh i do lot of hudson river and lake champlain fishing

Flak

Cadet

Well I got her running yseterday. It took a while to get the idle right. Some idiot had everything adjusted way out of whack from when he tried to troubleshoot the problem last summer. :D <br /><br />But, after a while I noticed it was starting to get very hot. Then I realized there was no water coming from the tell-tale. There had been initially, my soaked pants leg and sneaker proved that point. I pulled the lower unit and checked the water pump. It looked like I blew out the O-ring on the pump housing. The water pressure here is crazy, literally about 100psi, and I know at least once I opened the valve on the headphones too quickly. Well I cleaned everything up and resealed the pump and started it again. Still no water. I also found out the warning buzzer doesn't work. :rolleyes: I guess I have a clog somwhere in the system. I did pull the stat and found a few metal chips in there, leftovers from when I relocated the tell tale. That did not make me happy.<br /><br />Any tips on where I should start looking? This is so frustrating. All this work, I got her idleing beautifully, it's sunny and warm for the first time in days, and I'm not ready to launch her.<br /><br />Help!!!

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you tried to you come compressed ait to blow it out on my engine the water outlet is big enough to poor water in try that and the tubes in the lower end could be off i would try the air then pull the back cover off and see if the tubes are on they come off easy that could be a problem and clean all the metal flakes out the engine dont run it with out water thoughis possable you might need a water pump to that is the baddest thing but i would start out seeing if it is clogged

Flak

Cadet

I pulled it all apart again this morning. Enire water pump assembly is new. I flushed everything out in 2 directions. The water tube, the telltale, the pump, the stat housing. I had a bucket under the water tube when I backflushed it, no crap came out, it was pretty clean. All appears to be seated correctly. Still no water at the tell tale or the upper exhaust outlets. I also removed the stat and tried it that way. I let it run for about 3-4 minutes, until it started to get hot, then had to shut it down. Letting it cool down now.<br /><br />I did start it dry inadvertantly yesterday, but shut it down after a few seconds. I checked the impeller afterwards, but it seemed OK. I don't think I killed the impeller, but I may change it again anyway. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Aagrrh. I'm sitting on the back porch, watching boats go by on the lake... :(

Flak

Cadet

I finally found the problem. It looks like it's the upper water tube seal. Anybody know how to get the water tube out? Does it pull out, or does the power head have to come back off?

Flak

Cadet

To answer my own question, you get the water tube out, by tearing everything down. The grommet was bad for sure. Melted up good. Now I wait for parts.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry to hear about that let me know how you are making out but the fishiing was great this weekened

Flak

Cadet

Glad you enjoyed your fishing. I was sitting down by the lake this morning, staring out at the water, wishing my parts were here, when I saw a juicy 2-3lb largemouth swim by. :(

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

was that piece that melted like that before you did the engine or did it happen when you put it back togather?

SpitnSputter

Cadet

Hi folks...The motors that i have are a 1976 mercury 9.8 hp,,,a 1966 evinrude sportwin 9.5 hp,,,and a 1971 johnson 100 hp... I was stupid and bought a tach/dwell/ volt handheld from sears and as i read the instructions it calls for 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder types...What Handheld tachometer will work for my 3 motors..the small motors are 2 cylinder and the 100 hp is a v4...Thanks..