Need help with a 92 XP200. Dies while underwayUPDATE.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well to update on a problem I posted several weeks ago my boat has been in the shop every since then and it turns out (from what the boat shop says)the stator is shorting out the power pack. It looks like I need a powerpack, a stator, and the starter is dragging.<br />I think this bill is going to be pretty costly. I keep saying to myself that surely they wont find anything else bad.....

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Need help with a 92 XP200. Dies while underwayUPDATE.

i have a 1991 225 and i bought a new power pack, and i didnt even need to, the old one was perfectly fine. but they wont let me return it, so now, i have a SPARE POWERPACK hint hint hint<br /><br />No selling here, period.<br /><br />EDIT: I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING! just trying to help out a fellow boater in need of some outboard repairs

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got another call from the shop and they said that they tested the stator and it showed to be good and that now they beleive the problem is the timer base. They are not sure but he said that my power pack may be good he has to test it when the new timer base comes in. It should be here tomorrow.<br />What are you asking for the powerpack just incase I need it?

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat shop called and said that my boat is done.<br />Replaced the timer base, stator, and starter.<br />$1,400.00 poorer now but the guy assures me the baot is ready to go. Kinda making me re-think my decision on the purchase of this thing. The old 1978 model 85 HP sure does sound appealing right now.<br />On the bright side, I'll have my boat for the weekend.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

BOAT stands for: Break Out Another Thousand<br /><br />Sounds to me like $1400.00 put you right about there.. Hope your problems are fixed...

Walker

Captain

$1400, that's about what your whole motor if worth. Thats why I do my own work.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh well like the guy who posted here a few weeks back said he became a millionare by starting out with 5 million and bought a boat.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do know you can purchase and older 115 hp around here for about $1,500.00. Surely a 92 model XP200 would bring more than that.<br />What a way to give a guy regrets. <br />As far as doing the work yourself , I agree but I have been chasing this problem since last year and have not been able to find the problem.<br />When I worked in a drive train shop and people would bring differentials in that they had tried to repair we would always tell them that there are several reasons why you have rearend repairs (gear changes) done at a good drivetrain shop, of course they realized that after thier attempt at fixing it. I have learned a long time ago that you cant be great at everything even though I have tried.<br />I did have to drop a little pride to take the boat to the shop but I suspect even at $1,400.00 I got of cheaper than if I would have just started replacing parts.