1973 Johnson 50 Idle speed timing ?

jderk

Recruit
I just re-built the carbs and need to set up engine to factory specs.<br /><br />What is the idle speed timing spec. for a 1973 Johnson 50 hp outboard. My manual gives only the WOT timing at 19 deg. No spec for idle timing. The factory settings were tampered with by "others" and later by me because it is called the "idle speed adjustment screw" in the original owners manual. However, it changes the idle speed timing.!#*?! What's up with that?<br /><br />After the low speed timing is set correctly, how should the idle speed be set? My manual is unclear.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1973 Johnson 50 Idle speed timing ?

Welcome to iboats. Do a search on idle setting that Joe Reeves put together. Use the search function at the top of this page. Excellent info. You still need to buy a manual.

jderk

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Fireman57! I had previously read Joe Reeves method, but am unsure if it applies to my outboard. I have a manual by Seloc that says to start with the needles backed out 5/8 turn from seats where Joe's method starts at 1-1/2 turn out. Could that be a difference between Johnson & Evinrude or the year of the engine? Joe's method was advice for a '72 'Rude.

fireman57

Captain

I'd try Joe's first. He put in many years with OMC and knows the quickest way around an outboard. The worst that will happen is it doesn't start until you get it turned in to 5/8. Might me a little flooded. I hate to say that a manual is wrong but there have been instances here that quote the manual and it was 180 degrees off.