1996 150 Evinrude will not stay running

hcrisp

Cadet
I have a 1996 150 Evinrude /Carberated. There was another post with what seemed to be the same problem but no follow-up with what fixed the problem. I can start the motor and it will run only if the key is held to the start position. As soon as I return it to the run/monitary position the motor shuts down. I have replaced the switch and the power pack. I have checked all the ground leads, plugs for burns or shorted wires and can not find anything wrong. I thought about the coil packs but the engine will run as long as I keep the starter running. jmarler posted his in january but I did not see if or what he did to fix the problem. I am new to the posts here but have seen a lot of sound advise to solve other problems and would be very greatful for any help.

angus63

Captain
Re: 1996 150 Evinrude will not stay running

Welcome Hawg!!<br />I believe you can disconnect the big red cannon main plug, jump out the solenoid to start the motor. If it runs ok, it's is the switch, wiring, or kill switch. If it doesn't run, post back cause we'll need more info. You'll need to choke out the carbs to stop the motor with the plug disconnected. let us know.<br />Good luck

hcrisp

Cadet

Hello angus63.<br />Thanks for the info. I did not think about taking power away and starting the motor the old fashin way. I guess I got all rapped up in the problem I forgot that the motor will run on its own power once you take away all the gagets. I will let you know tomorrow (Saturday,21,May)

hcrisp

Cadet

Hello all<br />Just a thought but could it be the stator assembly. Tried to start it today but does not seem to be fireing at all now. I am going to retrace my steps and check the plugs again for fire. Let me know what you think. Thanks Hawg.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Hawg. Sorry no advice for you, but I just wanted to subscribe to this thread as I'm interested to see what you find out. I've been having troubles with both intermittent spark and no-spark problems in my '89 crossflow 150 for a while now and am too determined (stubborn?) to take it to a pro to fix. Just trying to learn as much as I can from the experts here. Good luck!!

hcrisp

Cadet

Ok angus63<br />Here is what I have now. No fire on ether side of the motor. It fired the same with the old and new switch and power pack but now I have none. I have not changed anything up to this point. It seems to be pointing to ether the voltage regulator or the stator assembly. I dont have a peak-reading meter to test it. What can i try. I have reached my limits. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

just1hawg,<br /><br />Let me start out by saying I don't know much about my motor, let alone yours (disclaimer ;) ). Some of the experts here have told me that the rectifier/regulator has nothing to do with ignition, yet other sources say that it can :confused: . Maybe you can try disconnecting it from the circuit and re-checking for spark just to see? Hopefully you have a manual? As for the peak reading voltmeter, there are adapters you can get that will allow you to use a "high quality" DMM (supposedly some of the cheaper ones aren't shielded well enough for the adapters to work reliably). I got a Stevens Instruments PVA-1, and it cost me $45. I know there are other manufacturers that offer these as well - you can probably find more info on this forum if you do a search for DVA adapters or something like that. Good luck!