Am I doing key switch elimination test correctly?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
1989 Evinrude XP150 (E150STLCEM). My Clymer manual says to disconnect the 5-wire connector between the engine harness (big red connector) and the powerpack. Then says to place a jumper between the "E" wire on the powerpack connector end and ground (this is a white wire). Then crank the engine and check for spark with a spark gap tester. Just wondering if anybody can tell me if this is correct or not, because most threads I've found on this general topic just say to disconnect "the" black/yellow wire from the pack and say nothing about grounding a white wire. My connector actually has two black/yellow wires, by the way. Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Am I doing key switch elimination test correctly?

You can also disconnect the main engine harness plug, jump the starter solenoid and if you have spark, the problem is somewhere in the between the plug and control box (bad ignition switch or kill switch, or related wiring.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

To jump the starter solenoid, do I just need to hit the solenoid with positive 12 volts? Thanks!

Walker

Captain

Fargin, your positive battery cable is already connected to your soleniod. Just jump from there to the small post that has the starter wire circuit.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, I'll give that a try and report my results by Monday at the latest. Thanks guys, and have a good weekend!

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

I disconnected the big red harness and jumped the starter solenoid like you guys suggested. Still absolutely no spark on any of the six cylinders. I did, however, notice some burn marks(?) on the red rubber plug between positions 5 and 8 on the female/boat side. Not sure if this means anything, but still no spark with it all disconnected as I said. Also repeated this test with the yellow and yellow/gray wires from rectifier disconnected from the terminal board, and still nothing. I really think I've got a bad timer base. Thanks!