2000 Johnson 35 hp 3cyl

Mike Johnson

Cadet
I love the way this low-hour motor runs. Power to weight ratio seems to be real good and it seems to be a great match to my 16' Lund Rebel.<br />I have two questions:<br />1. Is the charging system regulated? The owner's manual does not say.<br />2. The owner's manual does not list a spark plug number; it says to refer to the emissions sticker. The emissions sticker calls for a QL82C (champion #). The Champion catalogue calls for a QL85C. The hotter plug (85)seems to run cleaner. Is there any problem in running this plug? What is best? I know how to read a 4-stroke plug, 2-strokes are not my forte'.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Johnson 35 hp 3cyl

I can tell you how to read a 2-stroke sparkplug. They should have a medium to dark brown residue. It should coat the ceramic fairly evenly and look damp. Glazed and black means it's fouled. If they look dry, it's running hot or lean, or with too little oil. With 4-strokes, sparkplugs can stay pretty clean. Deposits indicate a problem. 2-strokes Should have visible deposits. If they're too clean, there's a problem.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Be careful looking up plugs in the Champion book for marine engines. Go by what the manufacturer wants in the motor not Champion. Hotter can be very bad.

Mike Johnson

Cadet

Well, I found out from another (more helpful) dealer that there was a bullitin from OMC calling for the hotter plug. Problems with unburnt fuel with the original #.