Engine Swap - Baker Tunnel Hull

Bob La Londe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have original manufacturers specs on this boat?<br /><br />
baker.jpg
<br /><br />I have been looking for the mfg max HP rating for the boat. I'ld like to swap the 200 thats on it for a 225, but I don't want to exceed the mfg specs since I use this boat for tournament fishing.<br /><br />The title lists it as a 1994 homebuilt, but I have identified it as made by Baker, maybe out of California. I ran across one other Baker owner, but he had a slightly smaller boat than mine so his specs would not apply.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Engine Swap - Baker Tunnel Hull

How long is this boat???<br /><br />What is the speed and RPMs and Prop you are running now??<br /><br />And last but not least, DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH???

Bob La Londe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm running a 14 1/4 X 23 and getting right around 60MPH per my GPS at about 5800 RPM at WOT. It is a 20' twin tunnel hull design. <br /><br />Other guys running the same engine on similar boats are getting speeds closer to 78 MPH with the same size motor. I have had this motor gone through by a Mercury certified Mechanic and it is running properly. I can only assume that the Baker is substantially heavier (and it is) than other 20' bass boats. <br /><br />I am getting my max speed by trimming up the motor then raising the jack plate and trimming the motor back down slightly. I can get a little more by raising it higher and trimming back down a hair more, but my water pressure starts to drop. <br /><br />Basically I get my best tweaked out speed of 60MPH at 5800 RPM. <br /><br />I tried a longer pitch prop (a 14 1/4 X 25) and it lugged the motor on that boat. <br /><br />As to having a death wish. On the Lower Colorado River where I run we might get wind chop of 1 and a half to 2 feet at the worst. In all honesty boat traffic on the main river causes worse wave action. That 20' twin tunnel sucks in the waves and rides better at any speeed including full throttle than my 18' Skeeter v-hull bass boat.

LubeDude

Admiral

these tunnel boats do in fact have a VERY stable ride, and at 60 MPH Im sure you have no safety issues! My 1800 18' Bass Tracker with the Merc 150 on it has a deffinate seat of the pants feeling at speeds of near 60MPH!<br />Im like you though, It seems you should be getting better speeds! That hull must indeed be heavy! I know that some tunnel owners go to the racing style lower units and the racing water pickups in order to get the engine Higher! Lots of money! I doubt that a 225 would give you much more than 5MPH if that!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You should be getting a tad more but it all depends on your balance. With a trolling motor up front one might assume that there are a couple of batteries in the nose. Nose weight usually kills top speed on a pad bottom air entrapment hull. <br /><br />You also hit on another point. If you had a low water pick up and could raise the motor you'd most likely gain some too. <br /><br />Personally I don't think you'll see much difference from your recreational 200 to a recreational 225. The Bakers are good for just about where you're at but it'll never run with something like a Hydrostream Vegas YT (same style bottom) or an Allison (pad bottom).<br /><br />Nice rig! Good luck!

Bob La Londe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I have been playing with the idea of having a low water pickup job done by Bob's Machine in Florida. My skeg is getting kind of rough and I have to pull the lower unit anyway to have that rebuilt. I figured I might as well do both at the same time. Bob's Machien also claims a 5 workign day turn aorund on work like that so including shipping time I would only have that boat down for a couple weeks.<br /><br />Its only about $300 to have the low water and better flow dynamic changes done to my lower unit. I don't know what heli arcing the new skeg on will cost, but can't be much more than a couple hundred. Certaily a lot cheaper than a new motor. <br /><br />The skeg was rough when I got the boat. I have skimmed through a couple sandbars, but I haven't hit anything hard with it yet.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bob does a great job. You couldn't deal with a nicer guy.<br /><br />Good luck!