1959 Erude 35 - impeller and pump

abbocoeeboat

Recruit
Thanks to cvx35, CATransplant and Paul Moir, the old lady cranked over, coughed under choke and started on the third crank (once I figured out the starter issue) last night. Wish my 89 Erude 60HP would've started that easily (what a pain - glad I sold it) With "ear muffs" on the water intake I noted no return flow through the top exhaust....and shut it down immediately.<br /><br />I thought at first the starter was shot, or I had a short in the switch - finally figured the motor was not really in nuetral and that the battery was weak - jumped it off and the starter immediately jumped up and worked like a charm.<br />It was fun to watch it work. Cleaned the carb bowl and lubricated cylinders as suggested before any crank over.<br /><br />Should I take it to the lake and get it good and immersed (leave it on the trailer)before I assume that my water pump or impeller are frozen up? I know these old motors have a strange (and small) intake. Are the impeller and pump an easy change...or should I go get in line at my repairman's place? <br /><br />Excited that she'd turn over! Thanks for your help. Once I can get it running, I have lots of paint and fix up to do.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1959 Erude 35 - impeller and pump

Earmuffs won't work on that motor without a special adaptor. You really need to immerse the lower unit in a barrel up to about the waterpump level to get it to pump.<br /><br />Regardless, if you aren't sure when it was last replaced, go ahead and replace the impeller. Iboats carries the Seloc manual for your motor, or you can try your local library. Similar waterpumps were used on many motors for many years, so finding a year and model specific manual isn't necessary. New impellers are readily available at dealers, iboats, NAPA, etc... It's a fairly straightforward job, shouldn't take but an hour to do as long as you don't run into any broken bolts, etc....<br /><br />- Scott

Timbit

Seaman Apprentice

I just replaced the impeller on my '59 johnson 35 and it is quite easy, It only took me about 2 hours. The impellers are not expensive either.. cost me $30cdn from a johnson dealer. Definately get the manual though, it'll make things that much easier

CATransplant

Admiral

Hi,<br /><br />Do replace the impeller. It's sort of a must-do sort of thing. But wait 'til you get your manual. That's a must-have item.<br /><br />There are some tricky bits in pulling the lower end, like the midsection cover over the shift rod connector, which must be done just so after you're done, or your motor won't shift proper. Take it from me....it happened.

rwise

Captain

It's not a hard job, or costly, I just changed mine out. Worth it to know there wont be a problem with it.