Towables

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking to tow something behind my boat for some additional family fun next summer. I looked in some of the boat catalogs and noticed the inflatable things you can tow behind your boat are very expensive, even the simple inner tubes. I assume there's extra reinforcements where the rope attaches, etc. <br /><br />If I towed one of THESE<br /><br /> http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=117500 <br /><br />behind the boat, would the lines just rip through the loops on the inflatable?<br /><br />It would be pulled by a 16' bow rider with 90HP mercury outboard in the river.<br /><br />Can anyone reccomend cheap towables??<br /><br />Thanks

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Towables

Merc. When you buy those cheap inflatables the package says "Do not tow" but I have towed them with no problems like you describe. I only tow them at or under 5mph though. I think any faster and it would rip the fittings off. The only problem that I have found is that they dont have a keel, so when you tow them, they yaw back and forth constantly and can swamp if you go too fast. Either attach a sea anchor off the back or get one of the inflatables that can take a motor. I attached a thin piece of aluminum to the edge of a 2X4 and bolted the 2X4 to the motor bracket so the aluminum was in the water like a rudder. Works like a dream. That whole setup is still alot cheaper than the Sevylor towable that they want $200 for. I have the HF360 FishHunter by sevylor 1200 lbs. capacity.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Dont tow that, no fun. It is loads of fun to tow those expensive tubes and fly across the wake. The amout of fun you can have is porportional to the amount you spend.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have several towables that get lots of use.<br />For around $50 you can find a decent canvas covered tube. Another $15 to $20 for a good tow rope instead of an old ski rope and you are ready to go.<br />If you have small children you might want to get a tube that is open on one side so the little ones can sit in the tube. For the ones that will ride the tube laying on it, I would get a tube that is closed on both sides. Riding the ones that are open is really hard on the back.<br />While it is a little pricey our favorite has been a Sea-Doo sit in triple tube. One, two or three people and it is very stable. The look on everyones face while they are riding in it is definitely worth the price I paid for it.<br /><br />Charles

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah it would be for people. Can anyone recomend a website or mailorder place with some cheap towables/tubes? I dont get out on the water too often so I guess i'm looking for something entry level<br /><br />Thanks

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you rent instead? That way you don't have to store anything and you get a different toy to try each time. Buy when you're sure of what you like.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

We got one of these<br /> tube.<br /><br />tow it with a 70hp - the kids love it!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Shop around. The above $40 model seems to be a fine way to get going. Or rent or borrow until next fall when a lot of places slash their prices. <br /><br />I experienced one quirk with an earlier open top tube. Not sure if they are still made that way, though. The bottom cover was sturdy enough but did allow a lot of water through. I will say that there was incentive to not put your rear end too far down there while at higher speeds. The hydraulic effect was, (how do you day this in a family friendly way?) interesting, and not exactly pleasant. Powerwashing areas not used to getting powerwashed, shall we say? :eek:

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a very similiar setup. I can't be a tube rider (THR) but my wife loves it. <br /><br />A decent quality tube (nylon reinforcement) and ski rope where only about $100 canadian. About $75 US.<br /><br />For the money, great entertainment.<br /><br />Joe