stalls under load

cdspanky

Cadet
Recently purchased a 1988 johnson 60 hp. motor has very low hours and has been stored for aprox2 yrs. I started it out of the water and it seemed OK but idled rough. In water, it stalled when I shifted and would not idle low enough to shift. Carbs are spitting fuel. Cleaned the plugs - didn't help.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: stalls under load

Hi,<br />1. Carbs may be in need for overhaul (carb kit).<br />2. Fuel pump (diaphragm set) could be bad also.<br /><br /><br />Remember also that impeller (water pump) may need to be changed (impeller kit) if service status is unknown (when was it last changed?). It should be changed in 2-3 year or so interval usually.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Moving to Johnson/Evinrude repair forum.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you can put your hand in front of the carbs and feel a "puffing" from them with the eingine running, could be the reeds are bad. This is where the spitting of fuel from carbs could be coming from and the cause of the poor idle.

cdspanky

Cadet

Thanks for the advice OBJ and Bo. The reeds looked good (quick visual when carbs removed) but I will rebuid the carbs as they had a lot of gunk in them from sitting. Could one of the coils be faulty and cause similar simptons? I did a quick spark check - all 3 cylinders were firing but I didn't check for the full 7/16"

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you do a Link and Sync yet..and might want to through a set of new plugs at her just for grins...new fuel (less than 2 weeks old) I'd been chasing this same condition on my 1991 70 hp rude...carb rebuild, new plugs,link and sync and new fuel ..back in business again..good luck....

fireman57

Captain

If you really started it out of the water you need to change the water pump. Spark needs to be bright blue and snap.

cdspanky

Cadet

I am now rebuilding the carbs and will link and sync them. When I started it out of the water, I had the muffs on. Next step will be to check the spark. Thanks again I really appreciate all the help - our boat shops here keep their secrets.

cdspanky

Cadet

Thanks Guys,<br />Problem solved. Carb kit, plugs and linking and sync'n. She's runnig great! Don't know what I would have done without this site and your advice because the only 2 OMC dealerships here won't give advice to us do it yourself'rs