83' 140 Evinrude Temp Question

Andrec4016

Seaman
Just got the motor running after changing head gasket and water jacket gasket on #1 and #3 gasket on head cover was collapsed.. Using muffs engine started with no problems ran for a few minutes water peeing with good presssure and noticed that temp was in the red shut her down and let cool, started her up again and temp stayed in the green but the water coming out of the pee hole is cool is this normal, didn't check water temp coming out of prop/exhaust :confused: thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 83' 140 Evinrude Temp Question

Did you replace the water deflectors under the head?

Andrec4016

Seaman

??? water deflectors.. don't mean to sound daa but changed the head gasket and yes I put it in the right way exhaust to the left, also changed the low pressure gasket, this gasket had no water ports for the head cover, I thought strange just bolts holes.. nothing else to change on the heads..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

What clanton is talking about are water flow directors around the cylinders. They are long rubber tubes that just stick into the water passage around the cylinders.....they are in the block, not on the head. If they get outta' place, the head can and will overheat.

Andrec4016

Seaman

I did notice two cylinder rubber tubes between the cylinder and wall.. one on top and the other on the bottom did not touch does.. manual does not say anything about changing deflectors..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that is about the most common complaint on a crossflow jonnyrude.<br /> its normally caused by the t-stats sticking. all the water exiting the heads must flow from the heads through the t-stats and out the adapter. hot water rises. if the vent in the t-stat housing is clogged,amd most are, or your usuing non vented t-stats, and the new BRP ones are non-vented, the heads overheat long before the hot water can open the t-stats.<br /> the cure we use is to notch the t-stat poppet and enlarge the vent hole in the t-stat housing to 1/8" or so. the object is to allow a certain amount of water to bypass the t-staats allowing hot water to flow to them at low engine speeds.<br />a quick test is to allow the engine to idle for 3 or 4 min, shut it down for about 5 min then restart. if it works normally its a stat problem. have fun accessing them :) . the tell tale water on that engine should always be cool. warm tell tale water is another indicator that water is not escaping the block assy.

Andrec4016

Seaman

Thank you I think.. you say that tale water (I'm assuming prop exhausts) should be cool where does the hot water exit? not the pee access that is cool as well. now I'm confused??

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Have fun accessing them????? rodbolt....you do have a way with words.... :D :D