70 hp Johnson impeller replacement

rick800

Recruit
Hi, <br />I was just wanting to know if I should change the <br />water pump impeller if I havent run the motor in 2 years ...eng. runs good. also is it very hard to change the impeller? or should this be done by a repair shop.. Thanks Rick

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70 hp Johnson impeller replacement

Rick welcome to iboats from me too. I am about to change the impeller on my '84 engine of the same size. It hasn't run in 6 years, but is low time and stored inside. Will be my first attempt at changing. Have manual and complete impeller kit with housing already. The guys here say the job takes a mech that does it everyday a little over 1/2 hour and guys like you and me an hour or so. My impeller kit was well under $50 with shipping and the guys said you can't find a mech that will do it for under $100 so I'm doing my own.<br /><br />Post back to let us know what you decide and how you come out. <br /><br />Jeff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Rick.<br /><br />If you have to ask, you need a Service Manual.<br /><br />Yes, the impeller should be replaced. It may be okay, but it is sort of like a heart. . . .if you wait for it to fail you may not get another chance. Think of it as routine, preventive maintenance every 2 years (calendar years, whether in use or not).<br /><br />It is not difficult to do using the manual. The manual is a lot less bux than getting someone else to do it, not to mention waiting weeks to get it back.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to iboats. :)

rick800

Recruit

Thanks JB and Jeff for your reply.. I think I can do the job but I like to ask Vets for advice or better ways to tackle the problem. I have a friend that says he's done it before, but more info will help the job go better and let you know what to look out for!!! Thanks Rick