1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Most of the wiring is in good condition, but all the wires from the amp are badly coroded and the wires to the stator are also badly coroded. Can the wire be replaced or do I need a new amp and stator. Will these be hard to find? Anyone know how much I should expect to pay?<br />Thank You!

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Had the same problem with my 1970 60 horse. I replaced the wires but I had to dig down into the amps insulation to do it. It worked but I didnt trust it for going very far. Those amps are expensive, about 200 bucks or more. Cant remember how much stator is, but think its over 100. Not too hard to find, check here at iboats first.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You can repair the wire's, and do the electical test's as you go. When wire's are corroded like that, making a good soldered joint can be difficult. For some reason, the wiring harness used back then will just crumble apart. If the engine is sound, you may want to consider a new harness.

Thanks guys! I will give a shot at repairing it, unless I can find it used. Is soldering the best way to go for those kind of repairs?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Yes! solder, and heat shrink tubing is the best bet, but that corroded wire can give you trouble. I still have one of the old straight soldering iron's with the asbestos cord. It can be difficult even with that.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cd amplifier for this engine lists at $314.00 but a lot of dealers will sell for around $250.00 It is recomended that if you replace the amplifier replace coil also about $38.00 I have been told that you can do away with the amp by going with a 12 volt low resistent coil and a condenser. I had to buy a amplifier (same part # as yours) for my 1969 55hp rude and I found one on ebay for $89.00 brand new and a good used one is almost unheard of. I had to completely rewire my engine because of the same conditions that yours are in. Good luck and keep us posted.

well, I sure hate to drop 300 bucks into it! I tried digging in the amps insulation to get to good wire and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. the wire it self doesnt seem to be weak and I am thinking of painting the wires with liquid tape, it has an anti corrosion agent in it. Then covering with heat shrink with adhesive. What I dont know is, what should I fill the hole, I made in the amps insulation, with? I sure would like to save this 300 bucks! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Does anyone have info about amplifier swap with 12 volt coil and condensor? How would I wire it? <br />Thanks again!

That sounds sweet, if it will work! seems like I need some specs. Are all low resistor coils the same? Is a "condensor" a one size fits all, kind of thing? I sure would like to find one one of those 85 dollar ebay deals!

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

My understanding is that you hook the hot wire from you amp to your positive side of your coil from there the positive side goes to the distributor the negative side of the coil goes to the points then install a couple of condensers and ground them to the block and thats all there is to it. Should you run into problems ask any auto mechanic that worked on cars in the 60s and he can most likely help you.<br />good luck and lets us know how it works. I did not know about this until I had already bought an<br />amp for my motor or I would have tried it then.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy that told me about the coil said to use a low resister coil.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I went on ebay at the right time and no one esle that needed an amp saw it up for bid. I put $200.00 on it but got it for $89.00 no one ever bid against me. As far as the low resister coil and condenser goes talk with your auto parts guy. I am sure he could help. I read a thread here about a week ago where a guy had changed out his amp for a coil on a 69 rude 85 hp and he said he was very happy with it. Should you try it and it works well please post a thread and let the rest of us that have a amp know that it works.

I have a 1964 johnson 90 also. Can I use the coil from that? I imagin it has a resistor also! Thanks very much for your help.

thornbg

Seaman Apprentice

I am useing an automotive coil without a resistor and a condensor on the negative side of the coil. Modern auto coils have resistors built in and the older years there was a ceramic ballast resistor ususally mounted to the fire wall of the vehicle. I have ran with and without and the motor runs good either way. I have been told that the resistor will rob performance from the coil but I have also heard that without one the coil and points will suffer.

Prkranger2

Seaman Apprentice

I have pic of the setup if anyone would like them and the instructions. If so please email me at dlmille@aol.com. I have the same question by my problem turned out to be the kill switch

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

On your 1964 90, The resistor is in the wire going to the coil. It is red, white as I recall.

Can I use that coil and should I use the resistor?<br />How do I know if its low resistor coil?

Thats where I am lost! The only high tension leads are the ones going to the spark plugs, all the amp wires are 16 gauge. How do I tie it all togather?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Yes! you could use that coil, but it would be easier to use a 12 volt auto coil with built in resistor. You will have to find a place to mount it so it is out of the way. If you use the 64 coil, you will have to use the resistor wire.