kicker motor: 5hp enough?

C Perini

Seaman Apprentice
Ive got a 20' fiberglass semi-v center console of about 2500-3000 lbs. I have a merc 5hp 2-stroke long shaft that I want to use as an emergency kicker. Do you think it will move that size boat? I dont venture more than a few miles offshore, but wind and current could be factors.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: kicker motor: 5hp enough?

15HP would be more in line with your size boat. Posibly even a 20HP...

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Buddy had a 10hp on a 20' Mako cc, just about moved the boat whenever there was a rip or wind. A 15 would be much better. A 15 costs a bundle, Sea Tow is much cheaper in my book.<br />Stalker

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL, <br /><br />No way is 5hp enough..<br /><br />I have a 17 foot half cabin.. main motor is a 100hp..<br /><br />My 6hp kicker is not enough thrust to push me against current/wind, I got smashed into a jetty because I didn't have enough power to steer away from it against the wind. (and a couple of big bow waves hit me at the same time). And that was in a river, not open water. no real damage done, I got luckly and the kicker would only get about 1 or 2 knots speed anyway, so not what you'd call a high speed collision. but I really discovered the need for a motor that can give adequate thrust when you need it (particularly for steering).. I'll be looking for a 15HP myself..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

C Perini

Seaman Apprentice

What if i put a high thrust prop on my 5 hp? would that help push my 20 footer?

D

DJ

CBP,<br /><br />Not enough ponies.<br /><br />I like to use the 10% rule. The kicker should be at least 10% of the hull rated hp.<br /><br />If your hull is rated for a 150, a 15 will do OK. Even better with a high thrust prop.